Conditional Formatting with exact word anywhere in cell

lightningwolf93

Hey guys,

I am trying to use conditional formatting to identify when a certain word appears in a list - "Road". I used "specific text/contains" in conditional formatting, to highlight those cells.

However, it is also highlighting words like "Broad" (B-road).

Example- in the below, I want only the second line to be highlighted, but I am getting the 1st and 2nd line highlighted

123 Broad Street
547 Dury Road
789 Madison Avenue

Any advice would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Try using the following rule:

=IF(FIND("Road",A1),TRUE,)

Upvote 0
Hello yky,

Thanks for helping out! As a note, the data in my actual-list is not case sensitive (sometimes it is 'Road', sometimes "ROAD" etc.) I would like it to highlight 'Road' no matter what case it is in.

I go to 'Edit Formatting Rule' and then choose 'Use a formula to determine which cells to format'

in the formula bar, I type "IF(SEARCH("Road",A1),TRUE,FALSE)" - Both 'Road' and 'Broad' end up highlighted, as well as ROAD, BROAD etc.

in the formula bar, I type "IF(FIND("ROAD",A1),TRUE,FALSE)" - Both ROAD and BROAD end up highlighted, but Road and Broad are NOT highlighted.

Is there a way around this? So the cell is highlighted if it contains Road, ROAD etc but not BROAD,Broad

(As an additional note, I am using this as part of a larger macro I am recording, so if possible I would like to avoid adding a new column with all caps).

Upvote 0
In that case, try:

=IF(SEARCH(" road",A1),TRUE,)

I assume there is always a space before "road".

Upvote 0
So simple! But it worked. Thank you :)

To add to the issue though, I tried to replicate the solution to fit other words. The column I have contains a list of addresses and I want to highlight the ones that don't follow our postal convention (so I want Road, Avenue, Street, Park, Boulvevard etc. to all be highlighted, because they should be Rd, Ave,St,Blvd instead).

Suppose I had

123 Parkedale Av
567 Green Park

I want only the second line to be highlighted. However, there is no space at the end of "Park" .

(I'm trying to use this as part of a macro, validating every list of addresses we receive, so I don't have a single, final list of all the addresses. It's an iterative process)

Is there any other solution you can think of?

Upvote 0
TRY:

=IF(OR(SEARCH("AVENUE",A1),SEARCH("PARK",A1),SEARCH("STREET",A1),SEARCH("BOULVEVARD",A1)),TRUE,)

But, "Park Av" will be highlighted, even though it shouldn't be and I can't find a way out of it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sham Yousaf

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back