Confusing Issue in 2016

JKenneth

So I maintain a database of Property Address', Names and Phone Numbers. I have to frequently delete information, as it is no longer needed. From time to time I delete a phone number where an obvious duplicate is found. Each phone number is kept in it's own cell inline with it's respective owner.

I have noticed that somehow Excel has changed the layout of the cells that has caused a Property Address to relocate to a different person, thus causing all kinds of communication problems. In some cases it's only moved up 1 row, but a few have moved as many as 8 rows up.

I have not personally been able to create the error, but have tried by deleting a line at a time or a cell. All I know is it's happening and causing a lot of issues.

Hopefully that explains it well enough to offer some guidance.

TIA

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Are you not deleting the entire row? Deleting just a cell would make phone numbers move up but names and addresses stay where they were.

Upvote 0
Are you not deleting the entire row? Deleting just a cell would make phone numbers move up but names and addresses stay where they were.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do delete only a cell, but only if it pertains to a phone number. Each phone number is kept in it's own cell and there are usually 5 rows of phone numbers per Property Address. The number of phone numbers will vary of course, depending on how many we are able to recover. In most cases there is never less than 3 phone numbers, per row. I have watched the rows below and they do not move when I just delete one cell, even if that row no longer contains phone numbers.

Hopefully to better explain, my phone numbers start in Column E and go until all phone numbers are filled in their own cell. If I delete a phone number in Column E, the phone number in Column F stays there and the row directly below, does not move either. Likewise the Columns do not change their original position, as if I deleted an entire Column.

When I need to delete the entire property, I select all the rows that are relevant and delete, then watch as the lines below move up to fill in the space.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charlottedv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back