Converting a Hexadecimal with a length of 14 to Hexadecimal

Wallcop

Dear All,

I am trying to convert a hexadecimal string eg <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>EAAA863573781B which should return <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>66052637949392923

However with the character limit of the function =HEX2DEC I used
=HEX2DEC(LEFT(C2,7))*2^28+HEX2DEC(RIGHT(C2,7))
Where C1 has the original hexadecimal string but it never returns the last two digits instead providing
66052637949392900. Can anyone help me get a clean return that I can use? :)

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Excel numbers are to only to 15 decimal places. Its not a Hex2Dec problem, its that the result is larger than Excel is accurate.

Upvote 0
Excel numbers are to only to 15 decimal places. Its not a Hex2Dec problem, its that the result is larger than Excel is accurate.

Thank you for your response, do you have any suggestions or alternatives in or out of Excel to do this calculation and grab that number. I am assuming that user inputed numbers which are outside of a calculation don't have that limit.

Upvote 0
Your method is as accurate as Excel is going to get. (Unless you write some vicious code that does arithmetic alphabetically)

Upvote 0
I am assuming that user inputed numbers which are outside of a calculation don't have that limit.

Yes, they do. "Numbers" with more than 15 significant digits should be entered as strings.

If it is okay for the hex-to-decimal conversion to result in a string and you are okay with using VBA, you can use the following VBA function.

Code:
Function myhex2dec(h As String) As String
Dim wf As Variant
Set wf = WorksheetFunction
myhex2dec = Format(CDec(wf.Hex2Dec(Left(h, 7))) * 2 ^ 28 + wf.Hex2Dec(Right(h, 7)), "0")
End Function

=myhex2dec("EAAA863573781B") returns "66052637949392923".
=myhex2dec("FFFFFFFFFFFFFF") returns "72057594037927935".

You can reference those "numbers" in arithmetic expressions. But Excel interprets only the first 15 significant digits, replacing any digits to the right with zero.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back