Converting text likert scale to numbers and getting a resulting average

bjchecket

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I've been handed a spreadsheet with a set of rows for a group of employees, one employee per row. Along the rows are columns for ratings. Each rating is a data validation list selecting from one of 6 terms describing performance: "Strongly Agree," "Agree," "Neutral," "Disagree," "Strongly Disagree," "Too New to Rate." Each term needs to be assigned a numerical value (5-0 respectively) and then calculated to find the average rating in a final column at the end. (Example below:)
FirstName LastNameRating Item 1Rating Item 2Rating Item 3Rating Item 4Rating Item 5Average
Toni JonesAgreeStrongly AgreeNeutralAgreeDisagree???
etc...

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
The sheet goes on in this manner for approx. 30 employees or so. How do I: A) convert the terms to numbers, and; B) use those numbers to calculate a score?

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi bjchecket,

Welcome to the MrExcel Forum.

I have a couple of questions for you. First, are you looking for a formula or a macro for this. Second, as straightforward as this sounds, my business sense tells me that if someone submits the answer as "Too New to Rate" and you go ahead and assign that response as a zero and then do an average of the responses, the "Too New to Rate" response is in effect, going to falsely bring the average down.

Upvote 0
Assuming your Header Row is Row 1 and that the Names start in Cell A2 and your Average is in Cell G2, then this formula put in cell G2 and copied down should work for you.

Code:
=AVERAGE(LOOKUP(B2,{"Agree","Disagree","Neutral","Strongly Agree","Strongly Disagree","Too New to Rate"},{4,2,3,5,1,0}),LOOKUP(C2,{"Agree","Disagree","Neutral","Strongly Agree","Strongly Disagree","Too New to Rate"},{4,2,3,5,1,0}),LOOKUP(D2,{"Agree","Disagree","Neutral","Strongly Agree","Strongly Disagree","Too New to Rate"},{4,2,3,5,1,0}),LOOKUP(E2,{"Agree","Disagree","Neutral","Strongly Agree","Strongly Disagree","Too New to Rate"},{4,2,3,5,1,0}),LOOKUP(F2,{"Agree","Disagree","Neutral","Strongly Agree","Strongly Disagree","Too New to Rate"},{4,2,3,5,1,0}))

There is probably a more elegant way of doing this, but I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Absolutely brilliant! And works like a charm! Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Happy to help. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back