Copy files to serialized folders?

HotLanta

Board Regular
Hi guys,

I have worked on making a macro for this project a few times in the past and I couldn't ever get it quite right.

I have a massive amount of floppy disks thanks in part to my first digital camera being a Sony Mavica. I also have old work disks and college disks as well. Makes me sound old I guess... I need to copy all of this data to USB before these disks no longer work.

I would like to have a macro where I insert the disk and hit the macro shortcut. Then the macro would copy all of the files from the disk to a serialized folder either starting with "1" and going on to "2" or they could be labeled with the current date and time.

I thought about learning some python coding and perhaps it would be better suited for this but I am better with Excel and quite frankly concerned about losing data at some point so perhaps I should get started. I feel VBA could do the trick for me a little faster. Maybe an afternoon of this while listening to iTunes will make a dent in all these disks.

Does anyone have any ideas to get me started? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back