Copying a finite cell (not finite cell psotition) as it moves around after various "sorts".

L

Legacy 274910

How can I copy the cell value in a cell (for example a value that may change from time to time as it is dependent on other data) to another cell, where the cells exist on different rows and rows that I will be sorting regularly in different ways?

(so the target cell and reference cell are both moving).

In other words, can each cell (not cell location) in excel be finitely referenced?

Re: Copying a finite cell (not finite cell position) as it moves around after various "sorts".

Let me try to simplify my problem/issue/question.

I have a film library on Excel. I have a header row (for example: LIBRARY SCORE, FILM TITLE, MY RATING, CRITIC RATING and DIRECTOR) and a row for each film.
A film's LIBRARY SCORE references data from MY RATING and CRITIC RATING which is always on the same row, however when 2 or more films are in a box set (for exampe a film series) I want each film's LIBRARY SCORE to equal the highest of them. I don't need a fancy "select highest in range" formula, that's not the problem - the same film is usually always highest anyway. What I need is for a film's LIBRARY SCORE to reference another film's LIBRARY SCORE (different row) irrespective of whether I adjust MY RATING or sort by DIRECTOR or CRITIC RATING for example.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back