copying block of rows based on cell value to another sheet

Worker8ee

Hello everyone, I have searched for this answer for an hour and a half now and have found threads treating this issue but all answers are customized to the specific question asker's needs and I can't figure out how to translate them to my needs. Here is my issue: I have a main sheet titled "AllDepts" which contains 20,000 rows. Column T specifies which department number each row belongs to, the whole sheet is sorted so that all of the same department numbers are grouped together. I need to copy all of the rows that have the same department number in column T to a new sheet. There are 20 different department numbers so I will end up with 20 different sheets that have isolated each department. Department 1 will go to sheet1, department 2 will go to sheet2 and so on. I have found a VBA that does this but it goes line by line and takes a long time to finish, is there any way to make this VBA more efficient so that it identifies the whole block of rows that have the same value in Column T and copies/pastes them in one swoop instead of going line by line? Here is the tediously slow VBA that I am currently using:

Sub DistDepts()
For Each Cell In Sheets(1).Range("T:T")
If Cell.Value = "1" Then
matchRow = Cell.Row
Rows(matchRow & ":" & matchRow).Select
Selection.Copy

Sheets("Sheet1").Select
ActiveSheet.Rows(matchRow).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Sheets("AllDepts").Select
End If
Next
End Sub

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
This looks to be working, how does it suit the need? Only limit I can think of if if you hit a cell with no department numbr

Code:
Sub test()

Dim shtnam As String
Dim rownum1 As Long
Dim rownum2 As Long
Dim deptno As Long

rownum1 = 1
rownum2 = 1
deptno = 1

Do Until deptno = 21 Or Sheets("AllDepts").Cells(rownum2, 20).Value = ""

Do Until Sheets("AllDepts").Cells(rownum1, 20).Value = deptno
    rownum1 = rownum1 + 1
    Loop

Do Until Sheets("AllDepts").Cells(rownum2, 20).Value = deptno + 1 Or Sheets("AllDepts").Cells(rownum2, 20).Value = ""
    rownum2 = rownum2 + 1
    Loop

shtnam = "Sheet" & deptno
Sheets("AllDepts").Rows(rownum1 & ":" & rownum2 - 1).Copy Sheets(shtnam).Range("A1")

deptno = deptno + 1
Loop

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick response, I get an error 400 when I try to run this, I am not sure what is causing that error. On a separate note I noticed the VBA you so graciously supplied doesn't have any coding for column T and other columns might use the same number as the department numbers in column T so I believe this would need to specify it should only be looking at column T for the criteria.

Upvote 0
Whoops I realize that column T is specified by the number 20, sorry it has been a long day. I will try to research why the error 400 is coming up thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
A million thank yous you have saved me countless hours of work. The 400 was a user error issue where I had an extra column inserted that was throwing off the department values by a column. This is perfect I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back