Copying Data to another worksheet

CC27RR

Hello,

The aim of this is to search through a range of cells for particular status and then copy certain corresponding information over to another sheet (sheet 2) if the correct status is achieved. This works when I use it to copy the data into the same worksheet and it mysteriously worked once when I asked it to copy to sheet 2 once but ever since then it wont work.

The debugger is showing an error on the "Status.Copy..." line. Where am I going wrong?

Code:
Dim SearchRange As Range

Dim Status As Range

Set SearchRange = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D2", Range("D1").End(xlDown))

For Each Status In SearchRange

If Status = "Active" Or Status = "Lapsing" Then

Status.Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0)
Status.Offset(0,-1).Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("B1").End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0)

End If

Next Status

End Sub

Thank you

Yes that has worked but I don't quite understand it

Why did my original code not work?
What is the relevance of putting the statuses in capital letters?
What is the purpose of amending the searchrange variable I set?

Thank you I appreciate your help

I believe you were getting the error because if there was nothing in A2:A end of column. then you would be at the last row of the sheet and then try to offset down one row which does not exist.
Code:
Status.Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0)

In your original code if someone entered active your code would say "active"<>"Active" because of the different case by using ucase to make the status all upper case and comparing it all upper case the code will still see them as =.

Since the range in red did not have a sheet specified it would use the active sheet. So this would only work when sheet1 was the active sheet
Code:
Set SearchRange = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D2", [COLOR=#ff0000]Range("D1")[/COLOR].End(xlDown))

you could also use
Code:
Set SearchRange = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D2", Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D1").End(xlDown))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Simple error in both your original code & mine, in that the search range was not properly set. It should be
Code:
Sub chk()
   Dim SearchRange As Range
   Dim Status As Range

Set SearchRange = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D2", [COLOR=#ff0000]Worksheets("Sheet1").[/COLOR]Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))

For Each Status In SearchRange
      If Status = "Active" Or Status = "Lapsing" Then
         Status.Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
         Status.Offset(0, -1).Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
      End If
   Next Status

End Sub

I believe you were getting the error because if there was nothing in A2:A end of column. then you would be at the last row of the sheet and then try to offset down one row which does not exist.
Code:

In your original code if someone entered active your code would say "active"<>"Active" because of the different case by using ucase to make the status all upper case and comparing it all upper case the code will still see them as =.

Since the range in red did not have a sheet specified it would use the active sheet. So this would only work when sheet1 was the active sheet
Code:
Set SearchRange = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D2", [COLOR=#ff0000]Range("D1")[/COLOR].End(xlDown))

you could also use
Code:
Set SearchRange = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D2", Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D1").End(xlDown))

thanks for your help, much appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwine77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back