Count Text Across Worksheets

dwgnome

Hi,

Trying to add all of occurrences of "Yes" in a particular range for all worksheets.

I was hoping to use the clever trick I use for summing across worksheets:

Code:
=SUM(First:Last!$E$36:$I$36)

I tried using COUNTIF or AGGREGATE (using 2 for COUNT) but I get #VALUE ! error.

Code:
=COUNT(First:Last!$C$48) or
=COUNTIF(First:Last!C48,"?*")

I am aware of the approach using INDIRECT and a SHEETLIST and reference the worksheets. However, the workbook is quite dynamic as the Rockwell Software program creates a new daily worksheet each day and populates that worksheet with various data.

Before I give up and just change the formula to display a 1 instead of Yes, I was hoping to keep the text and perhaps learn why the First:Last trick may not work with text or learn a new approach.

Excel 2010, Windows 10

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Define SheetList using Insert | Name | Define or Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:

=REPLACE(GET.WORKBOOK(1),1,FIND("]",GET.WORKBOOK(1)),"")

Now you can count the Yes occurrences across sheets automatically listed in SheetList…

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'"&SheetList&"'!E36:I36"),"yes"))

Count text entries which is in C48 across all sheets which are listed in SheetList…

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'"&SheetList&"'!C48"),"?*"))

Upvote 0
Hi Michael,

Thank you for suggestion. I have seen that construct before. I tried using that approach but it gives me #REF! error. I believe that in order for it to work, all worksheets listed in the named range must be present. Since my sheetnames are actually the day of month starting with 1 and ending with 31, I created the named range using those names (even though they are actually numbers) in a range called Sheet. The problem is when the any of the worksheets in the range doesn't exist in the workbook, it fails. Like I mentioned, the workbook is dynamic with a new sheet added each new day. Thus the Sheet named range needs to be dynamic.

Aladin, I tried your technique and it worked right away. I suspect that the SheetList defined name is dynamic in nature.

However, when I tried to save the file, it gives a warning “The following features cannot be saved in macro-free workbooks”. It says Excel 4.0 function stored in defined names. I am forced to save the file as a macro-enabled file type. However, the template that the Rockwell Software uses can only be regular Excel file. Is there a way around that?

Upvote 0
[…]

Aladin, I tried your technique and it worked right away. I suspect that the SheetList defined name is dynamic in nature.

However, when I tried to save the file, it gives a warning “The following features cannot be saved in macro-free workbooks”. It says Excel 4.0 function stored in defined names. I am forced to save the file as a macro-enabled file type. However, the template that the Rockwell Software uses can only be regular Excel file. Is there a way around that?

I'm afraid there is no choice here. Excel 4.0 macro or straight vba both require a macro-enabled workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back