COUNTIF criteria, finding "Limit" but exluding "No Limit"

Darth_Sullivan

I have a range of data in column A and B that is pulled from many other sheets in the workbook. The data comes listed out of order, which is fine. I am trying to write a formula in another cell to give me averages for the numbered data in column B. My issue is my data in column A.

Examples of items that appear in column A are as follows:

Tournament
2/5 No Limit
2/4 NL
2/5 NL
2/4 No limit
3/6 Limit
4/8 Limit
4/8 Omaha

My formula for calculating the average for all "No Limit" type games, which is what "NL" stands for, is:

=SUM(SUMIF($A$2:$A$300,"=* NL",$B$2:$B$300)/COUNTIF($A$2:$A$300,"=* NL"),(SUMIF(A$2:A$300,"=* No Limit",$B$2:$B$300)/COUNTIF($A$2:$A$300,"=* No Limit")))/2

Which works perfectly fine for No Limit games. However, when I want to do the same for "Limit" games I can't simply use "=* Limit" as I get the "No Limit" values included in the calculation, which I don't want.

My simplified question, is there a way to have the criteria find all instances of "Limit" while excluding instances of "No Limit?"

Thank you for any help.

Also, will capitalization matter when the formula is looking for the criteria match?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Have you tried "=Limit" hence remove the wildcard *.

No cell says "Limit" only. The cell would say "2/5 No Limit" or "3/6 Limit" or any other combinations mentioned in the first post. I used the wildcard * before because the numbers preceding Limit or No Limit are several different combinations.

Is there a simpler way than using =countif($A2:$A300,"=* Limit")-countif($A2:$A300,"=* No Limit) ??

The result of this function is the outcome I am looking for but I'm trying to avoid having to add that much extra to the code as it seems lengthy already...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back