Counting MAX number of consecutive blank cells

voitoosh

Hi All,
I have an Excel 2010-related problem.
I need some tips on how to solve this. I have tried some formulas but it only puzzled me :/

I have a row of data, e.g.

WORK WORK WORK WORK __ __ __ __ __ OFF OFF OFF OFF __ __ __ LVE LVE __ WORK WORK WORK. -> this should return 5, as it is the biggest "block" of consecutive blank cells.

I need to calculate what is the MAX number of blank cells in this row (I have tried countifs, MAX etc) but there is probably one long formula to do so. Also, these (blanks) appear in a different places throughout the row (it is basically a roster of a person).

Any ideas how to tackle this without VBA (in which I am rubbish)?

Help much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Can Somebody help me, regarding formula that cannot solve for a week.
It goes like this.
I have a data. whole month of September. I want to know how many consecutive blanks that more or equal to seven. I only want to add all the consecutive blank cells that are more or equal to seven. less seven will not be counted.
Example. Sept. 1 to 7 is blanks and then Sept. 10 to 18 is also blanks and Sept. 21 to 30 is also blanks, so all in all the formula will count 25 blanks in the whole September.
can you help me, I've tried the frequency formula but cannot.
Please help me....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
@nazarene

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:
Rich (BB code):

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:A30="",ROW(A2:A30)),IF(1-(A2:A30=""),
   ROW(A2:A30)))>=7,FREQUENCY(IF(A2:A30="",ROW(A2:A30)),IF(1-(A2:A30=""),
   ROW(A2:A30)))))

If you have formulas in the target range that generates blanks which you wouldn't want to include in the count...
Rich (BB code):

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISBLANK(A2:A30),ROW(A2:A30)),
   IF(1-ISBLANK(A2:A30),ROW(A2:A30)))>=7,
   FREQUENCY(IF(ISBLANK(A2:A30),ROW(A2:A30)),
   IF(1-ISBLANK(A2:A30),ROW(A2:A30)))))

Upvote 0
How about if the blanks that less than seven is not counted?
Only I want is to count all the the blanks that more or equal than seven, and less than seven it will not be counted.
Sorry mr. Aladin if too many Questions :)

Upvote 0
Its okey , just dis regarded my last query, I just change the row to column, as my date is column wise, thanks mr. aladin, god bless you

Upvote 0
Thank you very much Mr. Aladin you are truly an excel genius

How about if the blanks that less than seven is not counted?
Only I want is to count all the the blanks that more or equal than seven, and less than seven it will not be counted.
Sorry mr. Aladin if too many Questions :)

Its okey , just dis regarded my last query, I just change the row to column, as my date is column wise, thanks mr. aladin, god bless you

You are welcome. Glad to see that you sorted it out.

Upvote 0
Here I am again, Mr. Aladin, sorry again, forgive me to ask you again.
Due to each cells have also a formula, if the cell are equals to zeros the cell has a "-" value. Instead of counting the blank cell, I need to count all cells that have a consecutive zeros that which are more or equal to 7, which represented by "-". Thank you again Mr. Aladin. Sorry for making you busy.
As shown below table
Sept1- Sept2- Sept3 -Sept4- Sept 5- Sept 6- Sept7- Sept8- Sept9 - Sept10- Sept11
- - - - - - - 10 - - 10 = 7

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here I am again, Mr. Aladin, sorry again, forgive me to ask you again.
Due to each cells have also a formula, if the cell are equals to zeros the cell has a "-" value. Instead of counting the blank cell, I need to count all cells that have a consecutive zeros that are more or equal to 7, which represented by "-". Thank you again Mr. Aladin. Sorry for making you busy.
As shown below table
1-Sep 2-Sep 3-Sep 4-Sep 5-Sep 6-Sep 7-Sep 8-Sep 9-Sep 10-Sep
- - - - - - - 1.00 - 10.00 = 7

Are these values true 0's formatted to display a minus sign, or are they real minusses?

Upvote 0
No usually when the cells are equals to zero it came dash or - , its not actually a minus sign.
when the cells is equals to thousand like this 1,000, when the cells are equals to zero is like this "-" das

Upvote 0
If the formula in the cells were computed zero or "-", if that zero or "-" are more than seven consecutive the formula will count it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back