Counting & Summing across select multiple worksheets

schatham

I'm trying to figure out some approximate space requirements on a disc based on output from some Powershell scripts whose output data I have imported into Excel. The file structure is similar to this:

z:\MyData\MyFolder\X1
z:\MyData\MyFolder\X2
z:\MyData\MyFolder\Images
z:\MyData\YourFolder\A1
z:\MyData\YourFolder\A2
z:\MyData\YourFolder\A3
z:\MyData\YourFolder\Images

I ran one script to return the file count & folder size of the 2 Images folders. I ran another script to give me the relevant file info for data in the X1, X2, A1, A2 & A3 folders. In that script, I looked for a certain filetype & returned a list of all the files matching that filetype. I can use the count of those rows which will indicate how many images are associated with that particular folder (X1, X2 or A1, A2 & A3).

Using the file count & folder size of the Images folders, I can figure an average image size for that folder.

In Excel, I brought in the results of the 2nd script. I have a worksheet named for each subfolder in z:\MyData (one called MyFolder & one called YourFolder). Also in this same sheet is the data from the images folders & what the average image size is. Another sheet in this same book has a list of all the folder names (X1, X2, A1, A2 & A3).

Here's where I'm stuck.

What I want to do is to be able to search selected worksheets within this workbook (searching the MyData & YourData worksheets), and counting the rows that have folder X1, X2, A1, A2 & A3. I don't want to search all the worksheets in the workbook, just specific ones.

Knowing that the folders:
z:\MyData\MyFolder\Images has 100 files and has a size of 25,000,000 - an average of 250,000 per file and
z:\MyData\YourFolder\Images has 75 files and has a size of 20,000,000 - an average of 266,667 per file

I would like my output in an excel sheet to show:

Folder Avg Img Size Count
X1 250,000 18
X2 250,000 24
A1 266,667 16
A2 266,667 7
A3 266,667 44

from which I can then figure the Img space that particular folder would require. (I already know at this point that X1 is part of MyFolder & that A1 is part of YourFolder.)

I have a couple hundred folder names (X1, X2, A1, A2, A3) which should not repeat, but I can't swear that they won't. What I would like to do is to have the formula that returns the count to be able to look for X1, X2, A1 etc through a specific set of worksheets in this one workbook (actually a specific area of those worksheets) & return that count into a specific cell.

I'd appreciate any ideas about how to go about this. I haven't ruled out doing it in code or as a set of formulas, but would rather change just one or the other should the folder structure change.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
After thinking about what I was asking, I went back to Powershell & re-wrote a script there to do the folder structure listing & counting the specific files I was looking for.

The Powershell script to do that was:

$fldr = "C:\MyData"

Get-ChildItem $fldr -Recurse -Filter "*.txt" | where {!$_.PSIsContainer} | Group Directory |
Format-Table Name, Count -AutoSize |Write-Output | out-file "c:\Users\ThisIsMe\My Documents\TextFileCount.txt"

I simply imported the TextFileCount.txt file into Excel. Column B was the file count of the specific type of file I was looking for. From that point on, I did Vlookups of the average file size (for the MyData & YourData Images folders), multiplied those averages by the file counts & from then calculated the estimated size of the folders.

While I know the Powershell stuff isn't on-topic, a lot of the data I get from Powershell I use almost immediately in Excel, and posted the above in hopes that someone else may find it of some use. My apologies for making a twenty-five-cent problem into a Ten Dollar solution....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back