Creating a formula to generate the difference between two of three cells, depending on which is greater

Calientegail2

Hello! I've built a spreadsheet that needs some tweaking and I need help. Here is what I have:
Cell 1-3 are just identifying data.

Cell 4 Cell 5 Cell 6 Cell 7
$1250. $1300. $1200. ?

The formula is needed for Cell 7. Currently, the formula generates the difference between Cell 4 and Cell 5. I need it to show the difference between Cell 4 and Cell 5 OR Cell 6, depending on which one is greater.

Example: Currently cell 5 is higher, so Cell 7 should be showing $50. But if I increase Cell 6 to $1400, I need the formula to recognize that and generate $150 in Cell 7.

The current formula in Cell 7 is:
=IF(Cell 1=" ", " ", Cell 5-Cell 4)

I'd really appreciate any help! :)

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Perhaps =If(Cell1="","",MAX(ABS(cell5-cell4),ABS(cell6-cell4)))
The ABS provides for values of cell5/6 lower than cell4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The formula is needed for Cell 7. Currently, the formula generates the difference between Cell 4 and Cell 5. I need it to show the difference between Cell 4 and Cell 5 OR Cell 6, depending on which one is greater.

Example: Currently cell 5 is higher, so Cell 7 should be showing $50. But if I increase Cell 6 to $1400, I need the formula to recognize that and generate $150 in Cell 7.
This seems to suggest that Cell 4 will always be the minimum value among the three cells. If that is correct, then this generic formula (you didn't tell us row or column info, so I used your cell descriptions) should give you what you want...

=MAX(Cell5, Cell6)-Cell4

If, on the other hand, the maximum and minimum values can be in any of the three cells, then you would need this formula instead...

=MAX(Cell4,Cell5,Cell6)-MIN(Cell4,Cell5,Cell6)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see.. yes, Cell 4 is typically smaller than 5 and 6, but sometimes it is not. This spreadsheet is referencing tenant rents at an apartment complex, Cell 4 is their current rent. Cell 5 is the base market rate, Cell 6 is the current asking rate for new people moving in. Typically the tenant's current rent is lower than both market or asking rents, but sometimes it is higher than one or both.

Upvote 0
I see.. yes, Cell 4 is typically smaller than 5 and 6, but sometimes it is not. This spreadsheet is referencing tenant rents at an apartment complex, Cell 4 is their current rent. Cell 5 is the base market rate, Cell 6 is the current asking rate for new people moving in. Typically the tenant's current rent is lower than both market or asking rents, but sometimes it is higher than one or both.
Given that description, and what you wrote originally, I think my first formula should be giving you the answers you want... does it? If not, give several examples of values in Cell4, Cell5 and Cell6 where the formula fails along with the answer you actually want in Cell7 so we can see what you are really trying to do.

Upvote 0
Bummer, that actually didn't work, I guess ABS only generates a positive number, and sometimes a negative number is needed. But thank you...I combined your suggested formula with the one from Rick below and tweaked it a bit, and now it works! Thank you all! Here is the formula now: =IF(cell1=" "," ",cell4-MAX(cell5, cell6))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soumyahalder4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back