Creating a user defined Formula with multiple optional entries

mahhdy

Board Regular
Hello,

I need to develop an UDF for checking a cell value against several possible entries to check if the cell is equal to any of those values or not. I know how to do the check (I am thinking to assign the entries to a scripting dictionary and do a dic.exists function). But writing the function in a way that can accept multiple optional entries in not clear for me. The example in EXCEL functions is CONCATENATE( text1, [ text2, ... text_n ] ). My function for specific optional entries is as follow:

Code:
Function IfAmong(TextToCheck As String, Text1 As String, Optional Text2 As String, Optional Text3 As String, Optional Text4 As String, Optional Text5 As String, Optional text6 As String) As Boolean    Dim dd As New Scripting.Dictionary
    dd.CompareMode = TextCompare
    dd.Add Text1, dd.Count
    If Text2 <> "" Then dd.Add Text2, dd.Count
    If Text3 <> "" Then dd.Add Text3, dd.Count
    If Text4 <> "" Then dd.Add Text4, dd.Count
    If Text5 <> "" Then dd.Add Text5, dd.Count
    If text6 <> "" Then dd.Add text6, dd.Count
    IfAmong = dd.Exists(TextToCheck)
    dd.RemoveAll
End Function

I want to make it dynamic for number of optional entries (As said like concatenate). and also if possible make the checking of entries automatic through a loop.

Code:
for i =2 to Ubound(text(i))
     if text(i) <>"" then..........
next

I was not able to do that as well

Thanks and regards,
M

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hello,

I found the solution with help of stackoverflow fellas. Here is the reply.

Use the <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: rgb(239, 240, 241); white-space: pre-wrap; color: rgb(36, 39, 41);">ParamArray</code>. The <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: rgb(239, 240, 241); white-space: pre-wrap; color: rgb(36, 39, 41);">ParamArray</code> must always be the last thing to be declared and must be of the type <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: rgb(239, 240, 241); white-space: pre-wrap; color: rgb(36, 39, 41);">Variant</code>. It will allow you to enter as many variables as you like without having to define each one of them.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...fined-function-in-vba-excel/46075900#46075900

Code:
[COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Function[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] IfAmong[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]TextToCheck[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]ParamArray[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Text[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]()[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Variant[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Boolean[/FONT][/COLOR]<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: inherit;">[COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Dim[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] txt [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Variant
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]    on error resume next
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Dim[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] dd [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]New[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Scripting[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Dictionary
    dd[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]CompareMode [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] TextCompare

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]For[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Each[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] txt [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]In[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Text[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]()[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
        [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]If[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Not[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] txt [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] vbNullString [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Then[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] dd[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Add Key[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]:=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]txt[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Item[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]:=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]dd[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Count
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Next[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]

IfAmong [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] dd[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Exists[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]TextToCheck[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
    dd[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]RemoveAll [/FONT][/COLOR]</code>[COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]End[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Function[/FONT][/COLOR]

It is not so good routine as will turn error if duplicated value entered! you can find a more simple suggestion on link above.

Regards,
M

Hello,

I need to develop an UDF for checking a cell value against several possible entries to check if the cell is equal to any of those values or not. I know how to do the check (I am thinking to assign the entries to a scripting dictionary and do a dic.exists function). But writing the function in a way that can accept multiple optional entries in not clear for me. The example in EXCEL functions is CONCATENATE( text1, [ text2, ... text_n ] ). My function for specific optional entries is as follow:

Code:
Function IfAmong(TextToCheck As String, Text1 As String, Optional Text2 As String, Optional Text3 As String, Optional Text4 As String, Optional Text5 As String, Optional text6 As String) As Boolean    Dim dd As New Scripting.Dictionary
    dd.CompareMode = TextCompare
    dd.Add Text1, dd.Count
    If Text2 <> "" Then dd.Add Text2, dd.Count
    If Text3 <> "" Then dd.Add Text3, dd.Count
    If Text4 <> "" Then dd.Add Text4, dd.Count
    If Text5 <> "" Then dd.Add Text5, dd.Count
    If text6 <> "" Then dd.Add text6, dd.Count
    IfAmong = dd.Exists(TextToCheck)
    dd.RemoveAll
End Function

I want to make it dynamic for number of optional entries (As said like concatenate). and also if possible make the checking of entries automatic through a loop.

Code:
for i =2 to Ubound(text(i))
     if text(i) <>"" then..........
next

I was not able to do that as well

Thanks and regards,
M

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back