CSV Fie import with leading 00's

ccummins

Hello,

I have a CSV file that we use to import files into our ERP system. I have some parts that I need to import that are numbered parts which have leading 00's to start them. Ex. 005566770007. Saving as CSV does not allow me to save this as text as far as I know so the two 00's at the beginning of the part disappear. Any thoughts on how to get them to stay?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Saving as CSV does not allow me to save this as text as far as I know so the two 00's at the beginning of the part disappear.
Saving as a CSV should keep the leading zeroes. Using Excel to view the CSV will probably drop them because opening a CSV in Excel actually does a conversion on the field.
For that reason, you should never use Excel to view the contents of a CSV file to see what is really in that file.
Use a Text Editor, like WordPad or NotePad, to view the file. Those will show the contents of the CSV as they really are without doing any sort of conversion on any of the fields.
I bet if you do that, you will see the leading zeroes there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back