sangeeta25

Board Regular
Hi everyone!

I am currently working on a spreadsheet and I am facing some difficulties in regards to custom data validation.

Basically i have a column which contains consecutive numbers, i.e. cell G9 contains 126, G10= 127, G11= 128, G12= 129....etc... so what i would like to do is.. when someone insert a new row, then cell G13 for instance should only allow for the number 130, thus every next G"" cell should only contain the number above the previous G"" cell. Thus i believe that i need a formula to insert for column G in the data validation custom formula box, by which the formula I cannot figure out.

Could anyone please help me with this?

If this is slightly confusing, please do inform.

Sangeeta

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi Sang,

Instead of validation where the user would have to amend the cells each time a row is added, could you use a formula in the column to auto populate the numbers?
My thought would be =row()+115, copied all the way down should give you what you need.

If you do use validation and add a row, it will keep the numbers the same and give no error until the cell is amended.
(Not really helping your situation)

Thanks,
Dan.

Upvote 0
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your suggestion.

However as this may work, everytime i insert a new row the new G cell for the new row does not automatically contain the next number above the number in the previous cell??

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sangeeta

Upvote 0
You would have to drag the formula down to the new row.. unfortunately this is a downside of doing it this way.
Although I can't think of a better one without using VBA. (And i'm no expert at VBA)

Upvote 0
Thanks Dan, that's what i thought, that VBA may be the only way to automate the row in terms of numbering.

So i'll fish around for some coding.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back