Custom Data Validation or Conditional Formatting

sangeeta25

Board Regular
I have a drop down list for a whole column by which the options that you can select from are "yes" "tbd" or "n/a" however i would like a custom rule by which you can only select the option "n/a" ONLY if a previous column says "abandoned" Also please note i would like to keep the drop down list, hence why i am slightly confused on how to keep a drop down LIST if i need to use a custom data validation source but then again to keep the drop down list may be a vba code is needed? not sure.... can anyone assist?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi,

If this was not what you're looking for let me know because there's also the opportunity of creating a fixed dropdown with an error check on input of previous fields.

Upvote 0
If you make a named range 'shortlist' with "yes" and "TBD" and range 'longlist' overlapping the short list with N/a on the next line down.
Then in data validation use =IF(I10="abandoned",longlist,shortlist)

Excel Workbook
GHIJ
8yes***
9tbd***
10n/a*abandonedtbd
11**othertbd
Sheet5
#VALUE!

Shortlist is G8:G9 and longlist is G8:G10. If the prior entry is "abandoned" then all three options are valid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Konew,

This solution will limit the possibilities in the list based on the result of the IF statement and it was my understanding that's not the expected result.

From my understanding the expected result is an fixed list with 3 choices where only the appropriate choice out of the list will be accepted based on the previous cell input.
I was thinking to solve it using data validation combined with error checking using VBA.

Maybe you have a better suggestion.

Upvote 0
Hi, yes your correct i need a solution which combines most probably a vba code with data validation as the data validation has a fixed list thus error checking in the form of a vba code is needed, i think... any suggestions ?

Upvote 0
Hi Konew,

This solution will limit the possibilities in the list based on the result of the IF statement and it was my understanding that's not the expected result.

From my understanding the expected result is an fixed list with 3 choices where only the appropriate choice out of the list will be accepted based on the previous cell input.
I was thinking to solve it using data validation combined with error checking using VBA.

Maybe you have a better suggestion.

I read it to be that if the prior data us "abandoned" then any of the 3 options ("yes","TBD", and "N/A") were permitted.
If the requirement is that when the prior data is "abandoned" then the only permitted entry is "N/a" then all I would do us redefine my longlist range so it only refers to a single cell containing "N/A", or modify the formula to =IF(I11="abandoned",$G$10,shortlist)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomvula

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back