cycle through a range copying and pasting vba

danno79

I have the following code which takes a source range (containing text and numbers) and cycles through it copying and pasting into the next column and moving the values down one row each time, the values that drop off the bottom are placed at the top of the newly pasted range ie

aaa1
aaa2
aaa3
aaa4
bbb1
bbb2
ccc1
ccc2

becomes

ccc2
aaa1
aaa2
aaa3
aaa4
bbb1
bbb2
ccc1

etc

This works well but I am trying to tweek it to skip a column each time, (ie a blank column between, the pasted ranges) but can only succeed in getting it to skip a column after the first. Any suggestions?

Code:
Sub Populate()

Dim oRange1 As Range
    Dim startColumn1 As String
    Dim rangeStart1 As Integer
    Dim rangeEnd1 As Integer
    Dim cellCount1 As Integer
    Dim i1 As Integer

startColumn1 = "B"
    rangeStart1 = 4
    rangeEnd1 = 11
    cellCount1 = rangeEnd1 - rangeStart1 + 1

For i1 = 1 To cellCount1 - 1
        Set oRange1 = Worksheets("PROGRAM GRID").Range(startColumn1 & rangeStart1 & _
                                ":" & startColumn1 & (rangeEnd1 - i1))
        oRange1.Copy
        oRange1.Offset(i1, i1).PasteSpecial xlPasteAll

Set oRange1 = Worksheets("PROGRAM GRID").Range(startColumn1 & (rangeEnd1 - i1 + 1) & _
                                ":" & startColumn1 & rangeEnd1)
        oRange1.Copy
        oRange1.Offset((-1 * cellCount1) + i1, i1).PasteSpecial xlPasteAll
    Next i1

End Sub

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi, You could perhaps try this as an alternative.
NB:- Change Range(Rng) to suit.
Code:
[COLOR=navy]Sub[/COLOR] MG01Dec24
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Range, ray, col [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Integer[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A9"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
ray = Rng
    [COLOR=navy]For[/COLOR] col = 1 To 12 [COLOR=navy]Step[/COLOR] 2
        col = IIf(col = 1, 2, col)
        Cells(Rng(1).Row, 1).Offset(, col) = ray(UBound(ray), 1)
        ray(UBound(ray), 1) = ""
        Rng.Offset(1, col) = ray
        ray = Rng.Offset(, col).Resize(UBound(ray))
    [COLOR=navy]Next[/COLOR] col
[COLOR=navy]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Hi there,

If I am understanding correctly that you want a blank column between each column of 're-sorted' data, maybe:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> exa()<br>Dim _<br>aryOrigData     <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>, _<br>arySorted       <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>, _<br>aryExpanded     <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>, _<br>temp            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>, _<br>x               <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, _<br>y               <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br><br>    aryOrigData = Range("B4:B11").Value<br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ReDim</SPAN> arySorted(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(aryOrigData), 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(aryOrigData))<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> x = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 1)<br>        arySorted(x, 1) = aryOrigData(x, 1)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> y = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">LBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 2) + 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 2)<br>        temp = arySorted(UBound(arySorted, 1), y - 1)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> x = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 1) - 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Step</SPAN> -1<br>            arySorted(x + 1, y) = arySorted(x, y - 1)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> x<br>        arySorted(LBound(arySorted, 1), y) = temp<br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ReDim</SPAN> aryExpanded(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 1), 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 2) * 2)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> y = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 2)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> x = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arySorted, 1)<br>            aryExpanded(x, (y * 2) - 1) = arySorted(x, y)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>    Range("B4").Resize(UBound(aryExpanded, 1), UBound(aryExpanded, 2)).Value = aryExpanded<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi, Slight mod required , Change similar line to this:-
Code:
        Cells(Rng(1).Row, Rng.Column).Offset(, col) = ray(UBound(ray), 1)
NB:- Its best to specify the range (Rng) Explicitly, else there could be conflicts.
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Hi

Another option:

Code:
Sub Populate()
    Dim rSource As Range
    Dim i1 As Long

Set rSource = Worksheets("PROGRAM GRID").Range("B4:B11")
    With rSource
        For i1 = 1 To .Count - 1
            .Offset(i1, 0).Resize(.Count - i1).Copy .Item(1, 2 * i1 + 1)
            .Resize(i1).Copy .Item(.Count - i1 + 1, 2 * i1 + 1)
        Next i1
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Gentlemen - Thanks for your suggestions on this and sorry for the delay in posting a reply - power out for the latter part of yesterday afternoon, thats what you get for working out in the sticks!

Mark, Mick both your soultions work very well and avoid the obvious speed issues with copy and paste but i need to retain the background colours and formats from the original source range - any suggestions?

PGC - Retains the formatting form the original range but cycles through the source range in the opposite direction to what i need to achieve - can you suggest a way to do this in reverse?

Your guidance is greatly apprecited!

Upvote 0
PGC - Retains the formatting form the original range but cycles through the source range in the opposite direction to what i need to achieve - can you suggest a way to do this in reverse?

Ooops! You're right.

Try:

Code:
Sub Populate()
    Dim rSource As Range
    Dim i1 As Long

Set rSource = Worksheets("PROGRAM GRID").Range("B4:B11")
    With rSource
        For i1 = 1 To .Count - 1
            .Offset(.Count - i1, 0).Resize(i1).Copy .Item(1, 2 * i1 + 1)
            .Resize(.Count - i1).Copy .Item(i1 + 1, 2 * i1 + 1)
        Next i1
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back