Data to clipboard dropping ( )

johnny52

Office Version
  1. 2010
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a large worksheet and I like to copy and paste all to the clipboard.My question is I have numbers in parenthesis like (12),but when it comes over to the clipboard it appears as -12

these numbers in the original worksheet come from formulas....which contain "(" and ")".....looks like clipboard thinks its a negative number,but it is not

I just use the parenthesis to display the number as a ranking.....but I would like it to come over as (12)

I even inserted symbols to take the place of "(",but that's not working either......any ideas

Thanks Again :)

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Could you give an example of your formula and the values ​​of the cells that appear in your formula?

Try with this:

=TEXT(B4,"("&B4&")")

Change B4 by your cell

Upvote 0
Hi there

Try formatting the cells as text.

Upvote 0
IF(AWX2="","","("&ASN2&")")&" "&AUY2&AUZ2 this is the formula the data is in cell ASN2

Upvote 0
IF(AWX2="","","("&ASN2&")")&" "&AUY2&AUZ2 this is the formula the data is in ASN2

Thanks.....I will try your solution

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to use "<" ">" instead, this way I eliminate the issue of "(" and the negative issue..........it worked when I moved it over to clipboard

I tried to insert that text to my formula and to format the cells to text but I couldn't get it to work

Thanks for the input

Upvote 0
I do not know what happens with your excel, I tried your formula, I copy the result and in memory I have (12)

Try:

=IF(AWX2="","",TEXT(ASN2,"("&ASN2&")"))

Upvote 0
I tried your new formula and it works in the existing sheet as my original formula did..... but when I copied and pasted it to clipboard I got the same result as before......instead of (12) I still get -12 on the new sheet

going over to clipboard is the issue......when I use brackets { } or < > they remain when pasted with clipboard.These other alternatives are both fine for me.

I appreciate the help immensely Thanks !

Upvote 0
It is a pity that it does not work as you need it. In my tests they worked well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asp123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back