Data Validation List - Drop down appears empty if source contains only one item

jmancha

I am not certain if this is an excel issue or Citrix issue but it is worth a try. . .

I am using Excel 2016 in a Citrix environment. When using the Data Validation list option I am unable to use the drop down if my source contains only one item. For example, I have a field where the only available selection is YES. I do this because other fields validate from this field and the field must contain only YES.

I can see the arrow but when I click on it nothing happens. I have the list set to Stop on invalid data and it will still only allow the entry of YES, however you would have to know what entry is available or view the Data Validation properties to determine the acceptable entry for this field.

This issue is the same even if the source is a named range so long as that range has only on item. For sources > 1 the list works as expected.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I don't have any problems with a range of 1 cell, so it may be Citrix.
As you only have 1 value try removing the range from the source box & replace it with YES (no quotes), does that help?
A workround is to add an "Input message" telling the user what to enter.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response!

Sadly, this did not work and I appreciate your work around as this may be what I need to do. My concern is I have been building forms in Excel for 15+ years that are used by a large group of people. Who knows how many documents this will have to be corrected on!!! :) I am working n the Citrix side but so far I have not fund any solution there.

Upvote 0
Is it all files that have this problem, or just this one?

Upvote 0
That would tend to rule out a corruption issue, so it sounds like Citrix maybe the problem.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Good luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back