Date and time picker control - easier way to install

danaya

Hello All-
I use this forum all the time for information, but rarely post questions.. That may change as I'm working on a project that is perhaps slightly above my ability.

Here is my problem: I'm building a custom user form that relies heavily on the Date and Time Picker control (MSCOMCT.OCX). I have used this control in the past and noticed it was not available under the references on my machine and went through the hassle of installing it (I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and excel 2007). The way I installed the control is:
1) download the control and place in the sys32 folder or wow64 folder
2) run regsvr32 and the path to the control from the command prompt

I'm trying to train their IT guy to do this, and he is rightfully slightly nervous about tinkering with those folders.

I think at one point installing MDAC version XXX would automatically install this control. Is there something similar? Any other ideas? Although it makes me feel very powerful to drop controls in sacred folders and type commands at the DOS prompt, there must be an easier way.

Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
So would the batch file look at the version of windows, then determine the best folder to register the control, then register it? I guess it would also have to check whether the user has admin rights on the machine.

Upvote 0
yep! i have seen some but dos is not my forte, you need to search for it, its not really an excel problem as such

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back