Date Syntax problem - MS Query of PostgreSQL database

Malc0Savs

I am a relatively new to SQL queries and have been struggling for weeks to solve what I imagined to be a simple problem.

I am using MS Query from within Excel 2016 to query the company's main database. This supports PostgreSQL - I don't know which version - only that it is unlikely to have been updated since 2012.

I routinely run queries successfully - a simple example of a date criterium is:-

WHERE (pihist.description Like '%COCA%') AND (pihist.inv_date>={d '2018-05-01'})

- this happily returns all instances where the invoice date in the pihist table is equal to or greater than 1st May 2018

However I am wanting to select all records where the date is - say - in the past 30 days.

I have tried multiple functions without success - e.g. (pihist.inv_date>='current_date()-30') ..... BUT this returns :- "ERROR: date/time value "current" is no longer supported; Error while executing the query"

All guidance will be gratefully received.

Malc0Savs

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
In VBA, Date - 30 gives the date 30 days ago, therefore:
Code:
"WHERE (pihist.description Like '%COCA%') AND (pihist.inv_date>={d '" & Format(Date - 30, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "'})"

Upvote 0
Thankyou for your helpful response. Unfortunately this generates a slightly different Error: ---- "invalid input syntax for type date: ""& Format(Date - 30, "yyyy-mm-dd") &""; Error while executing the query" --- I scrupulously copied the code you suggested and I note subtle differences between this and the error message. It certainly seems like a step forward. (Might it be the date format? In the database the format is yyyy-mm-dd ..... however when editing in MS Query and Excel the format of the criteria defaults to dd/mm/yyyy even though the output in MS Query is yyyy-mm-dd .
Malc0Savs

Upvote 0
hi

Does this approach work for you? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23335970/postgresql-query-between-date-ranges

This looks helpful too https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/functions-datetime.html

And http://www.postgresqltutorial.com/postgresql-date/
And https://robots.thoughtbot.com/better-date-manipulation-in-postgres-queries

I am unfamiliar with PostgreSQL. When I see the above links, I wonder if it is only MS Query that has created the {d '2018-05-01'} style?
The links don't use it so hopefully you don't need it either.

If it is just the format returned in Excel is the issue, that should be easy to overcome.

regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
I just followed the syntax of your {d '2018-05-01'}, but for a variable date. From the error it seems like the database is interpreting Date (a VBA function which returns the current date) as part of the query language, which suggests you haven't got the correct string syntax.

The code I posted is the WHERE part of the full SELECT xxxx FROM yyyy WHERE ...., and is meant to be assigned to the CommandText string property of the QueryTable object containing the MS Query. Something like this (though a ListObject reference may also be needed). The sheet containing the MS Query should be the active sheet before running this code.

Code:
    Dim qt As QueryTable
    Dim cmd As String

Set qt = ActiveSheet.QueryTables(1)
    cmd = "SELECT xxxx FROM yyyy " & _
          "WHERE (pihist.description Like '%COCA%') AND (pihist.inv_date>={d '" & Format(Date - 30, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "'})"
    MsgBox cmd
    qt.CommandText = cmd
    qt.Refresh

Last edited:
Upvote 0
John_w and Fazza - thank you very much for your responses. I want to sit in a dark quiet room to try and work through this - it will probably be the weekend before I can do that. I may well come back, but only after I've given what you suggest a "proper go".
Regards
Malc0Savs

Upvote 0
Solved !! With the aid of a quiet and darkened room (plus collaborating with my daughter who has similar basic knowledge as myself) .... syntax for everything in the last 30 days is :- >=(DATE(NOW())-30)
I appreciate your help.
Malc0Savs

Upvote 0
I am a relatively new to SQL queries and have been struggling for weeks to solve what I imagined to be a simple problem.

I am using MS Query from within Excel 2016 to query the company's main database. This supports PostgreSQL - I don't know which version - only that it is unlikely to have been updated since 2012.

I routinely run queries successfully - a simple example of a date criterium is:-
WHERE (pihist.description Like '%COCA%') AND (pihist.inv_date>={d '2018-05-01'})​
- this happily returns all instances where the invoice date in the pihist table is equal to or greater than 1st May 2018​

However I am wanting to select all records where the date is - say - in the past 30 days.

I have tried multiple functions without success - e.g. (pihist.inv_date>='current_date()-30') ..... BUT this returns :- "ERROR: date/time value "current" is no longer supported; Error while executing the query"

All guidance will be gratefully received.

Malc0Savs
I see that you're working on SQL queries within Excel 2016, and I can understand how date calculations can sometimes be tricky. To select records from the past 30 days, you're on the right track using the current_date() function, but the syntax needs a slight adjustment.
This query should correctly retrieve records where the inv_date falls within the past 30 days. Remember to adjust the syntax based on the SQL version you're using.
For more SQL guidance and helpful resources, you might find sloboda-studio.com a valuable source of information. They offer insights into SQL queries and database management that could aid in your learning process.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back