Devoting months to spreadsheet?

Avowil

I have a workbook where I the hours I work everyday. There are 13 spreadsheets in this workbook, one for each month, and one where I collect data from the other spreadsheets, like hours worked on a particular day, hours needed that month, my total monthly earnings and so on.

The issue I'm facing is the following: when a new month comes along, I have to edit all the formulas in order to collect the data from the correct spreadsheet.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to dedicate a month to a spreadsheet, in such a way that a formula can pick up what month it has to collect the information from?
a) If so, what do I need to do with the spreadsheets?

b) What would the formula look like?

Thank you! :)

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
assuming totals sheet is first sheet and second sheet is jan, third sheet is feb etc

in a macro sheets(3). select will go to feb sheet
copy the info then sheets(1).select to get to master and paste

the 3 can be replaced by the number in say H1 of the master sheet eg sheets(cells(1,7)).select

Upvote 0
instead of reffering to say:
=January!C3
which brings you value from C3 cell in January worksheet you could use:
=INDIRECT(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm")&"!C3")
returning the same value today, but in Feb from worksheet called February and so on.

the same can be done with ranges, like instead of
=SUM(January!B1:B100)
you could use
=SUM(INDIRECT(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm")&"!B1:B100"))
or to make reading more obvious (we have here concatenated three parts of full address: sheet name, exclamation mark and address):
=SUM(INDIRECT(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm")&"!"&"B1:B100"))

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, I don't understand what both of you mean. The first 12 spreadsheets are my 12 months, by the way. Could you give me a step by step instruction? Take January for instance, how do I go about naming it January in a way the formula understands which spreadsheet to collect the data?

Upvote 0
I thought it was pretty obvious.
see first 2 formulas in my post. First one has "hard coded" reference to January worksheet, while in the second one, resolved month name is used as a source sheet for the reference.

If you not follow it, please show one of formulas you have to edit when month changes.
Show it for say Feb (as it is now), and how it shall read starting March 1st (after it would be edited).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back