Dlookup Error.

Mick Peters

Board Regular
Sorry if this has been asked before but I cannot get the syntax right for this DLookup. I am at the start of this project converting something I have done in Excel to Access. I have checked several threads but just can't get it right. It does not error when I check the compile but errors when it fires (After Update).
I have a form called frm_input on that form all fields are unbound, Date,Time ,Employee and Location. I have a field called employee where I enter a name and a field named Location where I want to have the VBA (Dlookup) fill in the location of the employee from the table T_Employee.
The table called T_Employee has 5 fields. One is Employee and one is Location.
The VBA I have is

Me.Scan_Date.Value = Date
Me.Scan_Time.Value = Time
Me.Location.Value = DLookup("Location", "T_Employee", "Employee = " & Forms![frm_Input]![Employee])
End Sub

This fills in the Date and time but fails on the DLookup
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mick.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
If you are entering a name then probably its a string value ('David','Ellen','Marco','Misha'). If so, then all string literals have to be enclosed in quotes for your DLookup where criteria (which is basically a SQL where clause without the where keyword):

Code:
Me.Location.Value = DLookup("Location", "T_Employee", "Employee = '" & Forms![frm_Input]![Employee] & "'")

Upvote 0
If you are entering a name then probably its a string value ('David','Ellen','Marco','Misha'). If so, then all string literals have to be enclosed in quotes for your DLookup where criteria (which is basically a SQL where clause without the where keyword):

Code:
Me.Location.Value = DLookup("Location", "T_Employee", "Employee = '" & Forms![frm_Input]![Employee] & "'")

That worked perfect Thank you

Still not sure what I was missing though was it just the &"'" at the end?
I think I understand the consept.
DLOOKUP( "Name of field in the table where result comes from", "Name of table where to look", "What I am looking for in the table to match" & thefield on the form"'"

Is that correct?
Thank you again
Mick.

Upvote 0
Hi,
your understanding of DLookup is correct but just keep in mind that the syntax is similar to raw SQL and basically that all the arguments in DLookup functions are merely strings (even if you are creating those string based on form control values).

So, column names or table names that have spaces in them should be in square brackets, and (in particular) in the "WHERE" part you must follow two rules:

raw strings enclosed in quotes
raw dates enclosed in octothorpes

Example:
FieldZ is a string: DLOOKUP("FieldX","TableY","FieldZ = 'abc'")
FieldZ is a date: DLOOKUP("FieldX","TableY","FieldZ = #1/1/2017#")
FieldZ is a number: DLOOKUP("FieldX","TableY","FieldZ = 1")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
your understanding of DLookup is correct but just keep in mind that the syntax is similar to raw SQL and basically that all the arguments in DLookup functions are merely strings (even if you are creating those string based on form control values).

So, column names or table names that have spaces in them should be in square brackets, and (in particular) in the "WHERE" part you must follow two rules:

raw strings enclosed in quotes
raw dates enclosed in octothorpes

Example:
FieldZ is a string: DLOOKUP("FieldX","TableY","FieldZ = 'abc'")
FieldZ is a date: DLOOKUP("FieldX","TableY","FieldZ = #1/1/2017#")
FieldZ is a number: DLOOKUP("FieldX","TableY","FieldZ = 1")

Many Thanks , I will endeavor to keep that in mind going forward. thank you again for your help and explanation,
Mick.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrSabo83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back