Donation Receipt workaround (multiple lines/columns per donor)

deenie

I'm trying to find a workaround for the fact that Quickbooks does not have a suitable solution for printing donation receipts that comply with Canada's CRA guidelines. We are not actually using Quickbooks yet, but we need a more formal system, and this seems to be the preferred option, with the exception of this issue. I've been asked to decide on a system by Tuesday and I need to know what will actually work. So far I have been using Excel for all our accounting records, and our process for donation receipting is rather manual. I have accepted this till now but the aggravation of having to move to a new system better lead to some kind of automation somehow!

I have never used VBA and am not familiar with the coding that seems to be bandied about much here, so if coding is what's needed please be patient with me. I do want to learn, and love working in Excel, but may or may not have the time in this context.

Anyways, one thought I had was to export a spreadsheet similar to the one I use now with essentially the transaction data below:
Date
Name
Fund (ie Missions, Benevolent, Regular, & maybe up to a couple others)
Amount
(I would need Address fields too, but could use a vlookup to add them later.)

From this I want to create a donation receipt at the end of the year for each donor (about 25 donors), with each donation listed as a separate entry with date and amount. If other than Regular, would also like to indicate the Fund. As we are a church, I would prefer to use a column format, because there are donors that give a donation every week, so transactions can add up (for these I need 3 columns to keep everything on one page). Since the column format leads to a lack of horizontal space, I've sometimes used a '*' to footnote the fund(s). I would need to generate a total for the amount given during the year, and a unique Receipt Number for each receipt, preferably starting with the number of the last receipt of the previous year, as this is how we have been doing it. If I need to use 3 columns for all receipts, that is ok. The tearaway portion of the receipt to submit to CRA is about 20 lines; I prefer it at the end, and one page per receipt. I have been generating receipts manually till now (copy/paste) with one tab per donor, named for that donor.

Possibly a different format than I've indicated might be better, for example if a one tab solution lends itself to creating each donation receipt as a pdf; also it would be faster to print out. I've also heard there is a way to create the receipts using mail merge, Directory option I think, but have not been able to figure out how to do that either. If anyone has info on that would be great, if it's not too much out of the scope of this forum (Word, but still using Excel for the database)

Essentially, my question may just boil down to this:
Is there a formula (set) I could use that would return the next transaction for a donor if it exists, and once there are no more, it could presumably just use an if function to return blanks for the rest? Or is there a more elegant solution that is still straightforward?

Thanks in advance for any help/efforts!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
It sounds like this is a job for a Pivot Table. Are you familiar with Pivot Tables? They are designed to categorize and summarize data. There is also a feature where you could set up a Pivot Table showing donations where the Donor is in the Filter, then generate one sheet per Donor. Each sheet would be identical to the original, but only have that Donor's data.

This type of reporting is suited to an Access database as well. But if you are not familiar wit Access, then Pivot Tables may be the way to go.

Upvote 0
Hi Bmontema,
Thank you for your reply, sorry I didn't see it right away. I'm familiar with pivot tables, but I need more flexibility in format than what a pivot table will allow here. Page breaks are only for printing purposes, and the unified structure of a pivot table does not allow for more data to be inserted around it to make up a donation receipt form that would be suitable to send to a donor.

I've uploaded the spreadsheet to Access given your suggestion as possibly there is more flexibility, but am not familiar enough with Access and not sure if I can combine the flexibility options with the table idea there either, or how I would go about it?

Upvote 0
Hi deenie, </SPAN>

This definitely sounds like a job for Access. You would need a table for the Donors with their info. Depending on what else you might want the database to do, we could bend (or break) some database design rules to keep it more simple. You will also need a table with the donation info which it sounds like you have.
</SPAN>
It will be important that the “Fund” data be very clean. Like not having some entries say “Missions” and some say “Mission” if they mean the same thing. </SPAN>

Create a relationship between the tables, then you can design a report that has the data you want to display grouped by Donor. </SPAN>

You can set the report to make a new page for every Donor. If you wanted, within each donor you could group the different funds and provide a subtotal for each and a Grand Total at the end. </SPAN>

You can put text in headers and footers and elsewhere on the report which will be identical on each page. </SPAN>

It sounds more intimidating than it is. And once you get into using Access and get more familiar, I’m sure you will be able to expand its use into other areas and simplifying your tasks. </SPAN>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back