lepend

Board Regular
Hi all,
Ive got the following formula and want to drag it but changing G:G in relation to the column
Code:
=SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$F$4&"'!G:G"),INDIRECT("'"&$F$4&"'!C:C"),$E28,INDIRECT("'"&$F$4&"'!A:A"),$E$4)
Sorry, I didnt make this formula and really dont understand so well how this works so any explanations need to be for a complete newbie
Any help appreciated...
Thanks
lepend

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
=sumifs(indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!f11:f5000"),indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!c:c"),$e11,indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!a:a"),$e$4)

Upvote 0
You haven't changed all the ranges

=sumifs(indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!f11:f5000"),indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!c:c"),$e11,indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!a:a"),$e$4)

Should be
=sumifs(indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!f11:f5000"),indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!c11:c5000"),$e11,indirect("'"&$f$4&"'!a11:a5000"),$e$4)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ive changed all formulas in the WB from A:A to A11:A5000 thinking that it would speed up any calculations but it is exactly the same if not slower than before.. any reason why this is? and is there anything else I can do? WB is around 20mbs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's really just the nature of INDIRECT. It's a volatile function (that was discussed in your other thread)
The very existence of INDIRECT causes that formula to recalculate every time anything in the sheet changes.
Even changes unrelated to that formula.
Say you have =Indirect(A1&"!B2")
A1 = Sheet1, so it's really doing
=Sheet1!B2
If anything changes (not just A1 or B2, Anything) then the formula recalculates.

This isn't a terrible thing if you have only a few formulas using indirect. But it sounds like you have many, like thousands.
That will have very noticeable impact on performance. And there's not much you can do about it.
INDIRECT is the only way (without a VBA solution) to use a cell reference to identify the sheet name in a formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks again Jonmo1.. I guess I have my answer then... The only thing I was thinking to lighten the load on the WB was to maybe split it into two WB's and then use some type of hyperlink.. would this be a better solution?

Upvote 0
How many different pages are there?

I'd recommend combining all the sheets' data into 1 sheet, while adding a column to show the original sheet name.
Then you can add that column as a criteria to your sumifs. No longer needing indirect.

Upvote 0
basically what ive got is several sheets with data (listed and calculated by days) then the sheets that Ive got indirect formulas are consolidating the information into weeks, months, and specific days, mon, tue, wed etc... thats a lets say snap shot of a year depending what year i put into that sheet... so I can see all information for that year... I really dont know how to do this another way?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back