Drop down box

ineedadedt

Board Regular
OK Another q.. I have a drop down box with the info NJ 01, NJ 02, - NJ 06. I want to set up another cell with the corresponding manager. So if someone selects NJ 01 the sheet would auto fill with John Smith in a different box.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks again :oops:

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Sheet 1

Create a table to store your data
A..............................B.........................C
1 I.D Number................Name...................Age
2 abc123......................Joe Bloggs............18
3 def456......................David Beckham......28

etc make the table as big as you want. Then highlight all data in column A except the heading and name the area. To do this click in the box left of the Sum box where it displays the Cell number and name the area I.DNumber. Then Highlight the whole area of data except the headings and name this area aswell. e.g data

Once you have done this go to the sheet where you want it all happen.

Click in cell B9 then click data from the top of the page and then validation. From the first box select list from the drop down list. Leave the second box as it is and then in the bottom box type =I.DNumber. Then ok out of all of that.

This will then make cell B9 a drop down list.

Then go to cell C46 and enter the following into the sum bar
=VLOOKUP(C9,data,2,FALSE) the C9 part looks for wht is in this cell, the data part finds the data from the selected area, the number 2 counts how many cells across from what is in cell C9 and FALSE means :( i don't know

hopefully this is clear enough. It is really difficult to explain things via a message board. It would be easier just to send you a spreadsheet with it all on.

Upvote 0
Maybe this will help. You can also use the lookup table for the Data Validation in C1 by going to Data/Validation/Allow, select list/Source and enter =INDEX(A1:B6,0,1)
Book1
ABCD
1NJ01BILLNJ04JOE
2NJ02BOB
3NJ03TONY
4NJ04JOE
5NJ05JOHN
6NJ06TIGER
Sheet1

Upvote 0
hey Brian from Maui try helping me out no one can sort out my problems! I've been waiting for a responce for ages and no one has given me a solution

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately, I think I have my worksheet set up differently then what you use so the transition is a little harder on my end to figure out. I do appreciate all the help though.

I now have a great resource to use!

Thanks so much,
Eric

Upvote 0
Chard9401 said:
hey Brian from Maui try helping me out no one can sort out my problems! I've been waiting for a responce for ages and no one has given me a solution

Try using Colo's utility to post a small sample of your table and formula. I've tried recreating you problem, but cannot come out with the #REF error. Usually when there's a #REF error message using Vlookup, it's because the column to lookup is outside the lookup table. But post to your original thread for this.

Upvote 0
i am at work at the moment and i am unable to from this computer. Would i be able to email you my spreadsheet to an email address?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back