Drop Down List with Manual Entry Allowed

johns_st

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have created some drop down lists and have unchecked the "Show error alert after invalid data is entered" under the Error Alert tab to enable manual entry into the cell. The problem that I am encountering is that I can enter data manually into the cell that also contains the drop down only if the sheet is unprotected. As soon as I protect the sheet, manual entry is no longer allowed. I have verified that the cells I want to allow manual entry in are unlocked. Am I missing something?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I can't duplicate your problem in Excel 2003, 2007, or 2010. What type of data validation are you using?

Upvote 0
I can't duplicate your problem in Excel 2003, 2007, or 2010. What type of data validation are you using?

I am not sure if I follow what you are asking. I am using Excel 2010 and have selected a cell and clicked "Data Validation" on the ribbon. In the Settings tab, I have selected "List" from the Allow drop down and have "Ignore blank" and "In-cell dropdown" checked. In the Source box, I have various vehicle numbers for our department (421, 422, 444, 446, 448...). I have no input message and have disabled the error alert. If I have the sheet unprotected, I am able to use the type in the cell or use the dropdown list. If I protect the sheet, I am unable to type in the cell, I can only select from the drop down list. I have verified that the cell is not locked or hidden in the cell properties. I need to protect the sheet so that only unlocked cells can be modified but I also need to enable a manual entry into the cell utilizing a drop down list.

Upvote 0
Ok, I actually resolved my issue. When I protect the sheet, I have to not only allow "Select unlocked cells", but also allow "Edit objects". Hopefully this is the correct solution, if anyone has another thought, please feel free to chime in!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back