Searchable Drop Down List (Drop down list that narrows as you type)

excelrxk

I need help to to create drop down list formula that narrows the list as you type.

E.g I have a drop down list linked to a data series that contains thousands of product names. Currently I have to scroll down to the correct item which can be difficult to find in order to select it. I would like to start typing the name in the field and have the drop down list automatically narrow down to only those items which have characters typed. If I started typing P, the list would narrow to Pan, Plate, Pot etc and exclude all other products in that data column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How to upload sample excel file?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I would like to start typing the name in the field and have the drop down list automatically narrow down to only those items which have characters typed.

What version of Excel do you use?
If it's Excel 365 or newer, you should be able to do that because it's a new functionality Excel has offered.
If it's older than Excel 365 then try using "Search_deList_v2.1", it's a free Excel add-in, it works on Excel 2007 or later.
Its function is to speed up the search in the data validation list. In any cell that has data validation (with type List) pressing ALT+RIGHT will open a User Form with a combobox. You can type multiple keywords (separated by a space) in the combobox to search items on the list.

Please, update your profile to show what version of Excel you're using.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back