Duplicate searchable drop down list

Jihad Akoury

Hello guys,

I created a searchable drop down list on excel and i want to duplicate it about 10 times, but when i do it, excel considers the 10 copies at one so when i choose an option in one of them, this same option is selected in the ten drop down list. How can this be fixed? should i create 10 different lists?

And i also want to apply a vlookup formula to a cell so it looks up to the searchable list, but the list isn't a cell, it's a combo box, so how should i refer to this box, if not possible is there something similar.

Thanks a lot

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Are you avoiding keeping the searchable list directly in the cell via data validation feature?

If not, use the data validation feature (its located in the data ribbon) to look for a "list". Its best to define the list as a named range so it can be contained in a different worksheet.

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions than this.

You can also check out this video I made that explains a bit more advanced drop down lists (one list changing the input options of another list) Excel 101 video

Upvote 0
Are you avoiding keeping the searchable list directly in the cell via data validation feature?

If not, use the data validation feature (its located in the data ribbon) to look for a "list". Its best to define the list as a named range so it can be contained in a different worksheet.

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions than this.

You can also check out this video I made that explains a bit more advanced drop down lists (one list changing the input options of another list) Excel 101 video

hello,
first thanks for your quick reply. I'm not avoiding the data validation, but i tried it and the list wasn't searchable. In fact i have 85 different option and it's difficult to search through so i want to make a list where i can type the first few letters and it shows me all options containing those letters. Is that possible with the data validation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its possible if you are willing to use a designated cell as a "search" cell... The search cell would dynamically change what the drop down cells would show.

Basically like this:
1. Setup drop down list (the 85 items) in another sheet
2. in a column next to the dropdown list items you would put a formula that uses something like find() using the "search cell" value... if it is contained in the string it will give a numeric value if it is not it will be #value error.
3*. Make a list of the non-error dropdown list items and set this to a named range
4. use that named range in your dropdown list.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need help with #3.

Please check out my excel youtube channel :) Excel 101

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suresh215

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back