Dynamic Dependant Drop Down Lists?? Please Help!!!

HTSNY_JACK

Hi - I am trying to fine-tune a scheduling spreadsheet for my company's 2014 work. We have projects organized by specific areas, with varying numbers of projects in each area. My goal is to organize the spreadsheet so i can select an area from a drop-down list in column A, which will result in a corresponding set of options to select from in a drop-down list in column B. I have my spreadsheet set up this way, so far. Once the selection is made in column B, the rest of the row is populated with corresponding data.

The function that i would like to incorporate is this: if there are 3 jobs in area A, and i select job 1 in row 7, for example, when i select area A in row 8, how can i set things up so that the only options that i am shown in the drop-down list are jobs 2 and 3? In other words, as we work through our 2014 schedule (the workload is static, there will not be new jobs added throughout the year) and i plan out our schedule a couple weeks ahead of real-time, there will be fewer and fewer job options available to select because those jobs will have already been selected and scheduled.

I followed a few google search leads for "dynamic drop down lists," but couldn't find anything to explain exactly what i would like to do. I'm not even sure if it's possible, but with everything i've learned about excel (lots from this message board; i received a very informative and helpful answer to a question posted last year, thank you very much!) i believe that ANYTHING is possible. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated! Thank you very much!!

-Jack

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Thanks for the quick reply! I looked into that page and went through the demonstration steps to create a spreadsheet that works according to the description. I am able to get that same effect in my spreadsheet through the =INDIRECT and =LOOKUP, but I would like to describe my situation a little more specifically and hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

My spreadsheet starts with 2 columns: "Consoles" and Circuits." Let's say that I have 3 "Consoles:" "Red," "White," and "Blue." In each of those Consoles, there are 5 "Circuits:" R1-R5, W1-W5, etc. When I pick my first job, i select "Red" from the Console drop-down list in column A, Row 2, and then I pick R1 from the resulting drop-down list in column B, Row 2, because the =INDIRECT and =LOOKUP functions have found the "Red" circuits and populated the drop-down list according to my column A selection. I believe we're on the same page so far.

Now, when I go to select my NEXT job in row 3, if i want to do another "Red" console circuit, i will select "Red" in column A. When I click on the resulting drop-down list in column B, how do i make that list show "R2-R5" because R1 has already been selected? Currently, since the corresponding list is R1-R5, I could select the same circuit over and over and over again because my list of options never changes. I would like that list of options in column B to eliminate previously selected circuits, as i move down the spreadsheet, such that if i decided to do all the Red circuits in a row and my first 5 jobs are R1, R2, R3, R4 and R5 in rows 2-6, if i were to select "Red" in column A, row 7, for my 6th job, the resulting drop-down list in column B will be empty since all 5 of the possible choices have already been selected.

What would this function be called? Thanks a lot for the help!

-Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayHo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back