Dynamic Named Range for a table? And not count entire column?

svendiamond

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello there! I have two questions.

1. Can I make a dynamic named range for a table? Not just one column?

2. Can I make the "Count" part not count the whole column? Because I have a row of "totals" I don't want to include in the range.

I want to name the range from A1:O13 -- I want to name it "WORKRANGE" -- so when I type my formula for the named range what would I type?Here's what I'm thinking: "=OFFSET(A1:O1,0,0,COUNT(A2:A13)) -- I'm not counting the entire column because I don't want it to include my "TOTALS" row. Is this going to work?

I have Macro buttons just to the right of this screenshot. These buttons SORT by various columns for this table. Sometimes I have to go in and add a row in, so my range would become A1:O14 -- and if I add another it'd be A1:O15. I want my dynamic range to adapt to me adding rows in (e.g. between rows 6 and 7 I add a new row.) This way, I can refer to my dynamic named range in my VBA for those macro buttons, instead of going in and updating them all to include an extra few rows every time I change something.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Here's a picture:

kvTKmkr.jpg

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
if you're always inserting rows, then there's really no need to count. It's always going to be A2 to however many rows you've inserted. Created a named range and set it equal to your cell "Totals/Averages". For example, you created a range called "LastRow" and its current value is "=A15". Then in your offset formula, instead of counting, just grab the row # of that range and subtract a row or two. You want 2 to 13 right? That's 11 rows, so it would be =ROW(LastRow) - 4

Again, this will only work if you are physically inserting rows, which will cause cell A15 to shift down one and become A16 etc

Upvote 0
if you're always inserting rows, then there's really no need to count. It's always going to be A2 to however many rows you've inserted. Created a named range and set it equal to your cell "Totals/Averages". For example, you created a range called "LastRow" and its current value is "=A15". Then in your offset formula, instead of counting, just grab the row # of that range and subtract a row or two. You want 2 to 13 right? That's 11 rows, so it would be =ROW(LastRow) - 4

Again, this will only work if you are physically inserting rows, which will cause cell A15 to shift down one and become A16 etc

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I understand exactly what you're saying. If I want my range to include A1:O13 (for now) but extend if I add a row... it will automatically extend anyway? Is that what you're saying? If so, I still don't really understand how to create a Named Dynamic Range that covers more than just one column. Assuming I name the "Totals/Averages" cell "LastRow" -- should my named range formula be: "=OFFSET(A1:O1,0,0,LastRow-2)" or something like that?

Upvote 0
Close!

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,0,0,ROW(LastRow)-1,15)

Note the -1, this is dependent on your starting row # (2 in my case). I set my sample range up as A2:A6. So ROW(LastRow) gives you 6. But you don't want your offset range to be six rows tall, you only want five rows (A2, A3, A4, A5, A6 = 5 rows), so I have to subtract one.

The the 15 gives you 15 columns, from A to O.

Upvote 0
Close!

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,0,0,ROW(LastRow)-1,15)

Note the -1, this is dependent on your starting row # (2 in my case). I set my sample range up as A2:A6. So ROW(LastRow) gives you 6. But you don't want your offset range to be six rows tall, you only want five rows (A2, A3, A4, A5, A6 = 5 rows), so I have to subtract one.

The the 15 gives you 15 columns, from A to O.

Thank you very much sir! That makes a lot of sense. However, I realized I don't even need a dynamic range because the range will always extend when I add rows! Now I feel silly. I appreciate the knowledge anyway, though!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back