Editing XLA/XLAM Add-ins

excel_user_a

Hello Mr. Excel Community,

I have experienced the following problem using Excel 2007 under Windows XP.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
I have a VBA library (library.xlam) that is used by a client Excel app (client.xlsm), both stored in a folder PROD. By "used" I mean that the client references the library (in VBA editor, under References, there is a link to the library).
<o:p> </o:p>
I copy the library and then the app into another folder DEV (in that sequence). Let's call these library1.xlam and client1.xlsm.
I edited library1.xlam and tried to save it into DEV, but got error preventing saving.
After rooting around for the cause, I noticed that client.xlsm NOW REFERENCES THE DEV VERSION OF THE LIBRARY (by looking in the References under VBA editor).
Why does copying a library cause a client to reference the copy? What are the rules governing this behavior? I don't think this happens all the time - we have seen this behavior a few times, but for the most part I believe I have performed a sequence very much like that above with no problem. Does the order of copying the files matter? Does the method of copying the files matter?
Cutting to the chase: what is the recommended way of generating a development version of a library without affecting any clients of that library?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back