Error message when cells do not equal zero

mike_ate_a_pie

Board Regular
I have numerous rows/cells (basically a monthly balance sheet) that when it doesn't equal zero means my workings are wrong. Ideally I would like a message box that appears no matter what worksheet i'm in in the workbook that appears informing me that my last actions caused the cells to not equal zero.

It would be even better if it would give the options to 1 - proceed anyway or 2 - undo the last action.

I imagine this is possible but i have no idea where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
use the Tools\Formula Auditing\Show Watch Window. Then add a watch for the cell (or cells) that's supposed to be zero. Then as you change things you'll see if it results in that cell being zero or not. Then you can just undo if you like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is the best way I know how. unless you want to use a Worksheet_Calculate event in conjunction with a message box in your variance sheet. Although I think doing so may cause more pop-ups than you want (or expect) since any change you make a pop-up may come up. For example, let say you have to put in two entries to make the variance cell zero. Well, as you put in the first entry Excel won't know to wait until the second entry and thus will through a variance pop-up. To me (in my opinion) this may be even more annoying.

Upvote 0
also, you can 'dock' the watch window anywhere you like. You don't need to have it floating on your screen. Just an fyi, it migh be better to dock it on the right side, then adjust the window size so you only see the 'cell' and 'value' in a list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxkapoor

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back