Error with Row() or Column() within Offset() within Intercept()

jfsknight

I'm having an issue with the following formula:

Code:
INTERCEPT(OFFSET($AM$6,0,0,1,MonthOffset-COLUMN($AM$6)+3),OFFSET($AM$1,0,0,1,MonthOffset-COLUMN($AM$1)+3))

MonthOffset is just an integer, 72 in this case.

The above formula works fine with LINEST, rather than INTERCEPT. The issue is with the Column($AM$1) command which returns a {39} rather than just 39. It returns 39 if within the LINEST function. OFFSET returns a {#VALUE!} error if the width argument is in curly brackets.

When I pull the OFFSET part into its own cell, it works fine.

The full formula is:

Code:
=LINEST(OFFSET($AM$6,0,0,1,MonthOffset-COLUMN($AM$6)+3),OFFSET($AM$6,0,0,1,MonthOffset-COLUMN($AM$6)+3))*D$1+INTERCEPT(OFFSET($AM$6,0,0,1,MonthOffset-COLUMN($AM$6)+3),OFFSET($AM$1,0,0,1,MonthOffset-COLUMN($AM$1)+3))

Like I said before, the first half is working fine.

Does anyone have an idea of what's happening?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi.

Firstly, not sure I understand.

Since the reference in COLUMN($AM$6) is an absolute reference, i.e. it will not change when this formula is copied to other cells, why can't it simply be replaced with the value 39?

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi.

Firstly, not sure I understand.

Since the reference in COLUMN($AM$6) is an absolute reference, i.e. it will not change when this formula is copied to other cells, why can't it simply be replaced with the value 39?

Regards

I'm trying to get away from doing that so that if anybody inserts a column into the worksheet it won't affect the formulas. The likelihood of someone inserting a column is low, but in the future this file may be handed off to someone else.

One thing that works is this:
Code:
=LINEST($AM$6:INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW($C$6),MonthOffset+COLUMN($C$6)-1)),$AM$1:INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW($C$1),MonthOffset+COLUMN($C$6)-1)))*E$1+INTERCEPT($AM$6:INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW($C$6),MonthOffset+COLUMN($C$6)-1)),$AM$1:INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW($AM$1),MonthOffset+COLUMN($C$6)-1)))

but if I could replace 12 commands with 6 in each cell that would be optimal.

I just find it odd that the same function with the same arguments returns two different results, depending on which outer function it's enclosed within.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to get away from doing that so that if anybody inserts a column into the worksheet it won't affect the formulas. The likelihood of someone inserting a column is low, but in the future this file may be handed off to someone else.

??

1) An absolute reference will still change when a column is inserted!
2) If the value was fixed at a numerical value of 39 (which is precisely the value of that construction), then that certainly wouldn't be affected by any column insertions!

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrcsbenson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back