Errors when Doing Thousands of Workbook.Save / Workbook.Open

Ceeyee

Board Regular
I have a program that requires a lot of Workbook.Save and Workbook.Open operations through out the day.

Most of time the program works ok, but once or twice a week, it stops with "fail to open / save object" errors on the Workbook.Save or Workbook.Open line for no obvious reasons (such as windows 7 thinks the file is already opened when it's not).
Clicking "Debug" and the "Play" button usually allows the program to work again, as the program will then successfully open/save the workbooks.

This is not what I want, because it causes interruption and requires manual operations.

I tried the following code using error handling to do the file operations five times before reporting errors, but it didn't work:

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
For numErrTry = 0 To 5
If numErrTry = 5 Then
On Error GoTo 0
Else
On Error Resume Next
End If

The WB.Save or WB.Open Line here

If Err.Number = 0 Then
Exit For
Else
Sleep 5000
End If

Next numErrTry
On Error GoTo 0
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Are there other solutions to these occasion errors when doing workbook.save/open operations?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
It's probably due to using too many resources. You may have to set Objects to nothing. If your SUBS get nested calls without releasing the calling SUB, this could cause the problem. Are you closing the workbooks before opening a new one?

Upvote 0
It's probably due to using too many resources. You may have to set Objects to nothing. If your SUBS get nested calls without releasing the calling SUB, this could cause the problem. Are you closing the workbooks before opening a new one?

I haven't tried setting Objects to nothing after closing the workbook, because the closing method is usually in last few lines in a sub. And yes, I close workbooks before opening new ones, but the system still finds conflicts when this is done too many times.

Let me try it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
If you try to trap an error and the code just quits and forces an Excel Crash or a workbook crash then you have resource issues

If you get an error code, then it's probably something else. You need to something to tell you what the error is so you can investigate. I turned off the first line and added a msgbox to see the error

Code:
'  Application.DisplayAlerts = False
  For numErrTry = 0 To 5
    If numErrTry = 5 Then
      On Error GoTo 0
    Else
      On Error Resume Next
    End If

'The WB.Save or WB.Open Line here

If Err.Number = 0 Then
      Exit For
    Else
      MsgBox "Error Number: " & Err.Number
      Sleep 5000
    End If

Next numErrTry
  On Error GoTo 0

Upvote 0
If you try to trap an error and the code just quits and forces an Excel Crash or a workbook crash then you have resource issues

If you get an error code, then it's probably something else. You need to something to tell you what the error is so you can investigate. I turned off the first line and added a msgbox to see the error

Code:
'  Application.DisplayAlerts = False
  For numErrTry = 0 To 5
    If numErrTry = 5 Then
      On Error GoTo 0
    Else
      On Error Resume Next
    End If

'The WB.Save or WB.Open Line here

If Err.Number = 0 Then
      Exit For
    Else
      MsgBox "Error Number: " & Err.Number
      Sleep 5000
    End If

Next numErrTry
  On Error GoTo 0

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back