Excel 10 Macros Disabled

btadams

So we finally got Excel 10 rolled out and find that all files with macros are automatically disabled. Except for a .xlsb file that contains copies of macros I had stored in my Personal.xls macro workbook. When I open the .xlsb file I get the option to Enable Macros. However, if I take a .xlsm file and save it as a .xlsb, I only get the option of disabling macros when I re-open it. Does anyone know why this one .xlsb file is getting special treatment and skirting the admin's setting?

Thanks,

Brian

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
So we finally got Excel 10 rolled out and find that all files with macros are automatically disabled. Except for a .xlsb file that contains copies of macros I had stored in my Personal.xls macro workbook. When I open the .xlsb file I get the option to Enable Macros. However, if I take a .xlsm file and save it as a .xlsb, I only get the option of disabling macros when I re-open it. Does anyone know why this one .xlsb file is getting special treatment and skirting the admin's setting?

Thanks,

Brian

Have you had a chance to configure your Trust Center settings (File-Option-Trust Center-Macro Settings)?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I went to the Trust Center but I don't seem to have the permission necessary to change anything. It is permanently stuck on Disable macros with Notification.
I'm just wondering how that one .xlsb file manages to skirt this setting.

Upvote 0
I suspect that Xl automatically enables macros for the default startup folder, which is where the personal.xlsb is located.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing but I took a .xlsm file and saved it as a .xlsb file in my XLSTART folder and when I launch Excel I get the option to enable macros for that old .xlsb file but for the new one I only get the option of disabling macros.

I'm not really sure how that old .xlsb file got created; I can't recall ever saving any file with a .xlsb extension. But it looks like a copy of an old Personal.xls file.

Upvote 0
I seem to recall that when I upgraded Excel to 2010, my personal macro workbook (personal.xls) was "automagically" converted to the new binary format (personal.xlsb). If you launch Excel in "Run as Administrator" mode, are the "Trust Center" settings still grayed out?

If they are, then I suspect it was a deliberate action implmented via your company's IT folks through a group policy. It would probably be possible for them to make an exception for personal.xlsb. That's where I'd start anyway.

Upvote 0
It was most likely a deliberate action implmented via my company's IT folks. But it would have been nice if they had given us a heads up prior to the rollout.

Still I wonder what it is about the old .xlsb file that seems to make it a "trusted" source.

Upvote 0
As a matter of interest, if you move the Personal file to your desktop, then save the xlsm as personal.xlsb & put that in the start folder, can you run the macros?

Upvote 0
So when I recorded a macro and saved it to the personal macro workbook, it creates a PERSONAL.xlsb file in the XLSTART folder and when I re-launch Excel that file gets the green light to enable macros. So I'm thinking if I really need to create a product that employs macros for other people to use I can make a copy of the PERSONAL.xlsb file, save it with a new name and distribute it.

Upvote 0
Doh! That don't quite work. I saved the PERSONAL.xlsb file with a new name on a shared server, tried to open it and could only disable macros. But when I moved that file to anywhere under C:\Users\MyName I get the option to enabled macros.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back