Excel 2010 importing time as 0

automaker

I have several spreadsheets that import DB2 records that include a time column (hh:mm:ss). The spreadsheets work in Excel 2003 & 2007. In Excel 2010, the time entries appear valid on the MS Query page. They are all 00:00:00 when brought over to the Excel page.

The column gets automatically formatted in Excel as hh:mm:ss, so Excel is recognizing the entries as time data (or is MS Query passing that column definition on from DB2?).

If I change the format to General, the value displayed is 0.

Since MS Query likes the data, and Excel "knows" the column is time, and this all works perfectly in old versions, why the heck are the values now being changed to 0?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hi and Welcome to the Board,

A good troubleshooting step would be to see if the value is exactly zero or just a very small number being rounded to zero.

What happens if you format one of the Cells to Number with 16 decimal places?

Upvote 0
I didn't check that. I'll take a look when I can get to 2010 at work on Monday. Since the time data is valid in the DB2 database and in MS Query I don't think I'll find a tiny decimal, but it's sure worth checking.

Upvote 0
I didn't check that. I'll take a look when I can get to 2010 at work on Monday. Since the time data is valid in the DB2 database and in MS Query I don't think I'll find a tiny decimal, but it's sure worth checking.

I haven't done imports from DB2; however in reading your question, the possibility that came to mind is that the conversion from Number -> Time either: 1/1440 (1 unit=1 minute) or 1/86,400 (1 unit=1 second), is happening twice - from DB2 to MS Query and from MS Query to your worksheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back