Excel 2010 - Protected Worksheet with "shared worksheet" selected

ttaber01

Hello,

I have a excel file that I have multiple tabs in and I've protected the various tabs by adding a password.

My manager had me place the fie on sharepoint so multiple users can access it and make updates.

I updated the worksheet to be a "shared worksheet" and now I cannot unlock the various tabs....its grayed out

How can I resolve this?

Thanks

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
There are a ton of limitations for shared workbooks (not worksheets), and they are predisposed to becoming corrupted.

In a shared workbook, you cannot view (or therefore modify) the VBA Project (“Project is unviewable”), and cannot merge or unmerge cells, or change conditional formats, data validation, charts, pictures, objects (including drawing objects), hyperlinks, scenarios, outlines, subtotals, data tables, PivotTable reports, or workbook and worksheet protection.

From Help:

In a shared workbook, you cannot:
However, this functionality is available:
Create an Excel table
Insert or delete blocks of cellsYou can insert entire rows and columns
Delete worksheets
Merge cells or split merged cells
Add or change conditional formatsYou can use existing conditional formats as cell values change
Add or change data validationYou can use data validation when you type new values
Create or change charts or PivotChart reportsYou can view existing charts and reports
Insert or change pictures or other objectsYou can view existing pictures and objects
Insert or change hyperlinksYou can use existing hyperlinks
Use drawing toolsYou can view existing drawings and graphics
Assign, change, or remove passwordsYou can use existing passwords
Protect or unprotect worksheets or the workbookYou can use existing protection
Create, change, or view scenarios
Group or outline dataYou can use existing outlines
Insert automatic subtotalsYou can view existing subtotals
Create data tables (data table: A range of cells that shows the results of substituting different values in one or more formulas. There are two types of data tables: one-input tables and two-input tables.)You can view existing data tables
Create or change PivotTable reportsYou can view existing reports
Create or apply slicersExisting slicers in a workbook are visible after the workbook is shared, but they cannot be changed for standalone slicers or be reapplied to PivotTable data or Cube functions. Any filtering that was applied for the slicer remains intact, whether the slicer is standalone or is used by PivotTable data or Cube functions in the shared workbook.
Create or modify sparklinesExisting sparklines in a workbook are displayed after the workbook is shared, and will change to reflect updated data. However, you cannot create new sparklines, change their data source, or modify their properties.
Write, record, change, view, or assign macrosYou can run existing macros that don't access unavailable features. You can also record shared workbook operations into a macro stored in another nonshared workbook.
Add or change Microsoft Excel 4 dialog sheets
Change or delete array formulasExcel will calculate existing array formulas correctly
Use a data form to add new dataYou can use a data form to find a record
Work with XML data, including:
Import, refresh, and export XML data
Add, rename, or delete XML maps
Map cells to XML elements
Use the XML Source task pane, XML toolbar, or XML commands on the Data menu

Suggest you unshare it.

Upvote 0
Yikes, I will unshared it. I did see some info online about "co-authoring" an excel file. Is that available in 2010 version and would that be a better choice? If not, should I move the file from SharePoint and place on a share drive instead (I think there are limitations with sharepoint as well). I do need to have multiple users be able to add their changes and had hoped to allow multiple users at the same time. Maybe that just isn't possible?

Upvote 0
It's not available in 2010. I don't know how it works, but hope it's better than shared workbooks, which have a terrible implementation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back