Excel as DB concurrent users

Digitborn.com

Hello,

How many concurrent users can connect to an Excel xlsx file using 'Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0'? Please, note that i shall use ONLY ReadOnly (understand SELECT SQL statements)!

I read it's 255 as an official statement from Microsoft. Is there any additional restriction by timing, i.e. per minute? In a forum thread i read there's something concerning per minute / concurrent users.

I have many topics about that but most of them involve writing/editing/locking records into the mix, where things are getting really different.

Additional details if it matters:
- i won't use writing/editing/deleting records;
- the Front End is a website;
- the hardware is a good to very good server equipment;
- the server is Microsoft Server 2008 R2 64-bit, but the OleDB driver is 32-bit (i know there's some 64-bit version from Microsoft);
- don't share opinions such as other database provider and how much better it is, because it's not the question here;

Additional questions, which are useful to know, but not that important as the main question:
- anybody share from a real experience/test case/production environment how many maximum concurrent users he achieved? how do you test/log that?
- please explain 'concurrent users' - I understand concurrent as - all the users should do the thing (in this case click a Search button) AT THE SAME TIME! Just a few milliseconds later (until the query executes) in the click of the button it will not be a concurrent call. Is that right? If it's not right or have a lot more than that can you give me some link on the 'concurrent users' topic.
- is 'concurrent users' differently measured between Excel vs Access?
- is 'concurrent users' differently measured between Access vs MS SQL Server database?

Thanks!, DMitar

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back