Excel for inventory management

btkartik

Hello all,

I am new to the world of Excel possibilities. I have a situation. I need to create an excel with about 100 columns, and 2 /3 rows. Column names are "Product Name", "Total Stock", and "Safety Stock". The inventory manager updates the excel each time a product goes out of the warehouse.

Now, can I make sure that when the "Total Stock" value reaches the "Safety Stock" value, there is a popup message - "Safety stock reached, Order immediately"? It'd be great if the cell color can turn red.

Please help me out with this.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
It's difficult to help with the amount of information you have supplied. You mention that you have about 100 columns but only name three of them: "Product Name", "Total Stock", and "Safety Stock". Did you mean 100 rows and 3 columns? I think that it would be much easier to follow if I could see how your data is organized. Perhaps you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do referring to specific rows and columns.

Upvote 0
Oops! Sorry, it is 100 rows and 3 columns.

It's difficult to help with the amount of information you have supplied. You mention that you have about 100 columns but only name three of them: "Product Name", "Total Stock", and "Safety Stock". Did you mean 100 rows and 3 columns? I think that it would be much easier to follow if I could see how your data is organized. Perhaps you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do referring to specific rows and columns.

Upvote 0
Copy and paste this macro into the worksheet code module. Do the following: right click the tab for your sheet and click 'View Code'. Paste the macro into the empty code window that opens up. Close the code window to return to your sheet. Update the stock in column B ("Total Stock") and exit the cell.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    If Target >= Target.Offset(0, 1) Then
        MsgBox ("Safety stock for " & Target.Offset(0, -1) & " has been reached. Order immediately.")
        Target.Offset(0, -1).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks a ton for this!! Works well :)

Cheers!

Hi again,

I have used the following code to get a popup message when the value is > 100, and also change the cell color to red. But, what do I do if i want the popup message and color change when the column B value is <= to the column C value?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
If Target.Column = 2 Then
ThisRow = Target.Row
If Target.Value > 100 Then
Range("B" & ThisRow).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
MsgBox ("Safety stock for " & Target.Offset(0, -1) & " has been reached. Order immediately.")
Else
Range("B" & ThisRow).Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
End If
End If
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    If Target <= Target.Offset(0, 1) Then
        Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    Else
        Target.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back