Excel Formula: Skip blank columns in row (A2:D2) and transpose into a vertical list

haruspication

Hi all.

I'm looking for a formula to skip blank columns starting in row 2 (horizontal list) and transpose only those cells with values into a single column list. Then, I'd like to move down to row 3 and continue to add only cells with values to the bottom of the new vertical list, and so on.

Any suggestions?

ABCDEFI
AprMayJuneOrders
2Item12503025 (from row 2)
3Item2019030 (from row 2)
4Item33503019 (from row 3)
535 (from row 4)
30 (from row 4)

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have figured out a good formula for skipping blank rows, but not for skipping blank columns across an array of many rows.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Any ideas on how to make the below formula skip cells that have a blank/zero value?

So far I have a formula in F2 that will transpose each row in range B2:D4 into a single column:
=INDEX($B$2:$D$4,1+INT((ROWS($B$2:B2)-1)/COLUMNS($B$2:$D$4)),1+MOD(ROWS($B$2:B2)-1,COLUMNS($B$2:$D$4)))

Each cell within the range B2:D4 contains a formula (even if they show "0").

ABCDEFI
1AprMayJuneOrders
2Item12503025 (formula starts here)
3Item201900
4Item33503030

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi haruspication,

I'm not wizzkidding around to squeeze it all into 1 formula, but this does the trick for me:

G3: =ROW()
H3: =MOD(G3;3)
I3: =(G3-H3)/3
J3: =OFFSET($B$1;I3;H3)
K3: =COUNTIF($J$3:J3;">0")
L3: =OFFSET($J$1;MATCH(G3-2;$K:$K;0)-1;0)

And then drag down... It does the trick, but as said, you could probably squeeze it into way less formulae.

Ciao,

Koen

Upvote 0
Hi Koen (Rijnsent),

Thanks for your suggestion, however I noticed where you have a semi-colon in your formulas, there should be a comma.

I combined your G3, H3, I3, J3 formulas into one formula (J3) to limit helper columns. Any suggestions on how to combine them all into 1 single formula?

J3: =OFFSET($B$1,(ROW()-MOD(ROW(),3))/3,MOD(ROW(),3))
K3: =COUNTIF($J$3:J3,">0")
L3: =OFFSET($J$1,MATCH(ROW()-2,$K:$K,0)-1,0)

Upvote 0
Hi Haruspication,

welcome to international settings :)... T is only a , separating parts of a formula if you have a . (dot) for a decimal symbol... And as my PC has European settings, I have a , (comma) for decimal separator and a ; in formulas :). Having said that: combining the formulas into 1 column will require a rather complex array formula. Check out e.g. this manual: Extract a List of Values Filtered by Criteria with Sub-Arrays in Excel
I'm not that good at array formulas and I find them way too complex: I have a hard time reading the formula, let alone changing it or giving it to somebody less skilled in Excel to work with... Therefore I myself use quite often extra/helper columns: that makes the sheet at least understandable.

Cheers,

Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JazzSingerNL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back