Excel formula to return a value upon meeting criteria set for two columns

Faza Moyo

If values repeat in consecutive rows of a column and in the corresponding rows of the other column the values do not repeat then return zero(0) otherwise return one(1)

Unique IDDisease NameResults
12005CVD
12005CVD
13964RD
12345DIABETES
12345RD

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now I kindly request you to help an excel formula which will return 1 in the first two rows of the Results column and zeros(0) in the third up to fifth row of the Results column, despite Unique ID in the fourth and fifth row being the same. I am not able to do coding so help me with formula which are in the excel formula list.I use Microsoft excel 2007

Thank you Admira100,
t|he formula worked for these few sample rows. When I apply it to thousands of rows, the formula does not give correct values in most of the cells

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Below is the link where I applied the same formula (highlighted yellow with red font) which you applied & attached the link in the previous post. KINDLY SEE, through this you can help me as to where I get stuck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qes7l073bkhcjlv/EXCEL ALADIN DROPBOX.xls?dl=0

It's not...

=IF(FREQUENCY(IF(($A$2:$A$6=A2)*($B$2:$B$6=$B2),ROW($A$2:$A$6)),IF(1-($A$1:$A$6=A2),ROW($A$1:$A$6)))>1,1,0)

but this:

=IF(FREQUENCY(IF(($A$2:$A$6=A2)*($B$2:$B$6=$B2),ROW($A$2:$A$6)),IF(1-($A$2:$A$6=A2),ROW($A$2:$A$6)))>1,1,0)

Don't forget applying control+shift+enter, even after an edit.

Upvote 0
I tried the formula on 7500 lines successfully ....
Maybe if I will see the full file I'll understand what the problem is :)

BTW, Aladin's formula works too..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Admira100 and Aladin.
Below is the file containing 97 rows (this is only a sample of data which resembles my data). I tried to use both formula.
I found in the sample I provided you before, both formulas work perfectly well, however extending them in the attached sample data didn't give expected results. Perhaps, I do not apply the two formula correctly!
In the sample attached in the drop box link below, Sn 58 to 60 were required to bring ones (1) in the result columns, however the results in sn 58 was 0 which is incorrect. Similarly, in the sn 20 the formula was required to return 1
Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nol4vjiwge7t8on/Drop Box 2.xlsx?dl=0

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for the sample , now it's clear :)

20 & 22 are the same and equal to 1
23 not equal the word is "renal" and NOT "heart"

59 & 60 are the same and equal to 1
58 is different and therefore equal to 0

Remember that column B and column C must be completely identical

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back