Excel index search using a wildcard character (“*”)

irrefutable14

I'm trying to use an INDEX search instead of a VLOOKUP because I want to display all associated cells with one String in a cell. For example, if my String is "Bob", I want to be able to search Column B for all instances of "Bob", and then produce all associated values from Column C. This would be displayed elsewhere vertically in different column. Here's the formula from a website that I currently use to do this:

<code>=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$C$1188,SMALL(IF((D$2=$B$1:$B$1188),ROW($B$1:$B$1188)-MIN(ROW($B$1:$B$1188))+1,""),ROW(A1)),2),"")
</code> But, my data isn't perfect and very large, so I want to be able to use the wildcard character '', so I search 'Bo' & "" and return all values in Column B that start with "Bo". The formula would then be modified to:

<code>=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$C$1188,SMALL(IF((D$2 & "*"=$B$1:$B$1188),ROW($B$1:$B$1188)-MIN(ROW($B$1:$B$1188))+1,""),ROW(A1)),2),"")
</code> Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. I've tried this on a much smaller scale as well, and it still isn't functioning.

I'm a noobie. Any idea on how to fix this?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
You can't use wildcards in a straight A=B comparison.

Try
=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$C$1188,SMALL(IF((LEFT($B$1:$B$1188,LEN(D$2))=D$2),ROW($B$1:$B$1188)-MIN(ROW($B$1:$B$1188))+1,""),ROW(A1)),2),"")

Upvote 0
You can also use SEARCH if you want to find D2 anywhere within the cell:

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$C$1188,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D$2,$B$1:$B$1188)),ROW($B$1:$B$1188)-ROW($B$1)+1,""),ROW(A1)),2),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back