Excel Mac VBA Evaluate not returning string

pdoak

I am using Excel version 16.9 for Mac.

Evaluate works if the returning value is an integer but not if it is text. The following code returns `Error 2029` when evaluating the RetText function.

Code:
 temp = Evaluate(RetText())
 temp1 = Evaluate(RetNo())

Public Function RetText() As String
    RetText = "Te"
End Function
Public Function RetNo()
    RetNo = 5
End Function

Is this a known bug or is there a way around the problem?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Why are you evaluating "TE"? It would evaluate to an error. It's not a formula. The number 5 just evaluates to 5.

If you just want to call a function, you don't need Evaluate.

Code:
 temp = RetText()
 temp1 = RetNo()

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The code I showed was a simplified example of my problem. The actual Evaluate() call uses a variable to determine the function to call. For example, the call may look like this:

Code:
temp = Evaluate(functionToCall)

where

functionToCall is a string variable which holds the correct function to call along with any parameters that the functionToCall requires eg. GetWeb(url) could be held in the variable. I am expecting the Evaluate function to call the function GetWeb(url) and return the result of the function.

Upvote 0
Evaluate takes a string as its argument.

Code:
temp = Evaluate(RetText())
Will set temp = Evaluate("Te"), which is probably an error (unless there is a Name "te")

Perhaps that should be
Code:
temp=Evaluate("RetText()")

But I can't understand why one would use Evaluate to get the value from a UDF, rather than calling the UDF directly.

Upvote 0
The code I showed was a simplified example of my problem. The actual Evaluate() call uses a variable to determine the function to call. For example, the call may look like this:

Code:
temp = Evaluate(functionToCall)

where

functionToCall is a string variable which holds the correct function to call along with any parameters that the functionToCall requires eg. GetWeb(url) could be held in the variable. I am expecting the Evaluate function to call the function GetWeb(url) and return the result of the function.

The Evaluate function will not call another procedure by evaluating a string. I think you want to use Application.Run

Code:
[color=darkblue]Sub[/color] Foo()
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] Temp [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color], MyArg [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color], Result [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]
    Temp = "RetText"
    MyArg = "XYZ"

Result = Application.Run(Temp, MyArg)

[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

[color=darkblue]Public[/color] [color=darkblue]Function[/color] RetText(Arg1 [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]) [color=darkblue]As[/color] String
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Arg1 = "XYZ" [color=darkblue]Then[/color] RetText = "Te" [color=darkblue]Else[/color] RetText = "ET"
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Function[/color]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheSliink

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back