Excel Macro

flyfish

I need to take columns and create a list with some extra words in them, basically I want to do this:

John Doe 65454 46465
Jane Doe 65465 12358
Tom....

to become:

John Doe
word
word
word
word
word
Jane Doe
word
word
word
word
word
Tom...

I have used copy and paste to try and create the list, but the macro uses the range number (A1), so if I try a loop it just does the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Welcome to the Board!

You'll need to give some more specifics.

Which columns are the data in?

What determines the number of "word"s that get placed between each name? I see a 3-2 pattern, but will it change between names? What and where are the "word"s?

Etc.

And finally, what are you hoping to achieve? A dataset in your proposed structure won't likely be all that useful.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I know it doesn't make sense, but the list will become a macro for a data load onto an as400. So it will strictly be a list. The Name column is c
the second column is d
and the third colum is f

The "words" are static. The brackets and names are correct and static below. The cells shown are the rows and are the only things that would change.the pattern is:

a1 b1 c1 d1 e1 f1
a2 b2 c2 d2 e2 f2

I want a list like this.

c1
[enter]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
d1
f1
c2
[enter]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
d2
f2
.......and on and on till row 287.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming the sheet your table is on in Sheet1, this formula should work to generate your list. (copy it down to your last need row)

=IF(MOD(ROW(),16)=1,INDEX(Sheet1!C:F,INT((ROW()-1)/16)+1,1),IF(MOD(ROW(),16)=2,"[enter]",IF(MOD(ROW(),16)=15,INDEX(Sheet1!C:F,INT((ROW()-1)/16)+1,2),IF(MOD(ROW(),16)=0,INDEX(Sheet1!C:F,INT(ROW()-1)/16+1,4),"[down]"))))

Just out of curiousity, how are you doing your data load?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the formula....seems to be working. I will be doing the upload with a macro on Client Access for iSeries. This is basically the body of the macro.

Upvote 0
How would I adjust this formula to add an enter after the field name? So it would go fom 16 to 17 and the 17th slot would be [enter]

Upvote 0
=IF(MOD(ROW(),18)=1,INDEX(C:F,INT((ROW()-1)/18)+1,1),IF(MOD(ROW(),18)=2,"[enter]",IF(MOD(ROW(),18)=17,"[enter]",IF(MOD(ROW(),18)=0,"[enter]",IF(MOD(ROW(),18)=15,INDEX(C:F,INT((ROW()-1)/18)+1,2),IF(MOD(ROW(),18)=16,INDEX(C:F,INT(ROW()-1)/18+1,4),"[down]"))))))

Have the final version.....Thanks immensely foy your help.

Upvote 0
Just a word of warning if you're using a macro recorded by the as400 system -- the list you want makes me suspect you're concatenating them into a bunch of sendkey statements in VBScript.

It's very likely for a script to "Get ahead" of the system and lose a screen. A quick fix, if you don't feel up to dealing the the Auteclps wait thingys (not sure what these are offhand, it's been over a year since I've messed with AS400), is to just put a msgbox(" ") statement after each enter statement

it think autECLSession.autECLOIA.WaitForInputReady(10000) will work too, but this is something I just quickly copied from something I wrote a while back -- I can't remember if there's any additional declarations or anything needed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back