Excel VERY VERY strange behaviour!!!

pobo1234

I'm currently trying to migrate from Excel 2007 to 2013. I have a setup where one workbook (Scheduler.xlsm) calls a set of procedures in another (Core Workbook.xlsm) through automation which updates an MS Access database with dates from the Core Workbook using DAO. If I run the test in 2007 it closes all the workbooks as it should, however if I run the same test in 2013 it leaves a read only copy of the Core Workbook open.

I have not uploaded the project as I can't upload files but please PM/message me and I can send you the zipped folder. The test can be performed by clicking the "Run Test" button in Sheet1 of the Scheduler.xlsm workbook. All references are relative to the 2013 Migration folder and the test can be run using both 2007 and 2013.

Can anyone explain this difference in behaviour and suggest how to overcome it retaining the same or similar code please?

Many thanks

Pobo123

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Not sure why there should be a difference between 2007 and 2013 but the following explains how this could happen and how to overcome such problems.
Program won't quit
Although this refers to Excel, the same issue would apply to Access, Word etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks Derek - I have already applied all the principles and guidelines in your link in my project but have still been getting this strange behavior. I think this is being caused by something not covered in the Program won't quit article.

Upvote 0
Can you post the code, highlighting the line(s) that are not functioning as you believe they should?

Upvote 0
Hi MrKowz

I've stripped out the relevant code. The line of code dbsCurrent.Execute strSQL highlighted in purple causes a second read only workbook (Workbook 2) to be opened and left open in 2013 but no copies of Workbook 2 are left open when this code is executed using 2007:

Code:
Workbook1
=========

Public Function RefreshTool() As Boolean

Dim appExcel As Excel.Application
    Dim strToolPath As String
    Dim wkbTool As Workbook

Set appExcel = New Excel.Application

appExcel.Visible = True
    'appExcel.WindowState = xlMinimized

strToolPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Core Workbook.xlsm"

Set wkbTool = appExcel.Workbooks.Open(strToolPath, UpdateLinks:=False, ReadOnly:=False)

appExcel.Run ("AutoRunReport")

appExcel.Workbooks.Close

appExcel.Quit
    Set appExcel = Nothing

End Function

Workbook2
=========

Public Sub AutoRunReport()

RefreshNAVCalculationBasketDB

End Sub

Public Function RefreshNAVCalculationBasketDB() As Boolean

Dim dbsCurrent As DAO.Database
    Dim rstCurrent As DAO.Recordset
    Dim ws As DAO.Workspace
    Dim strSQL As String

Const PROCEDURE_NAME = "RefreshNAVCalculationBasketDB"

On Error GoTo ERROR_HANDLER1

RefreshNAVCalculationBasketDB = False

Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
    Set dbsCurrent = ws.OpenDatabase(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Employee.accdb")

'empty the data tables
    dbsCurrent.Execute "DELETE * FROM [tblEmployees]"

ThisWorkbook.Save

strSQL = "INSERT INTO [tblEmployees] ('Employee Code', 'Employee Ac', 'Date T-1','Date T')" _
    & "SELECT * FROM [Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=True;IMEX=1;READONLY=TRUE;database=" & _
    ThisWorkbook.FullName & "].[Import & Control$C26:F96]"

[COLOR=#800080]    dbsCurrent.Execute strSQL[/COLOR]

varEnableEventsState = Application.EnableEvents
    varCalculationState = Application.Calculation
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True

RefreshNAVCalculationBasketDB = True

Exit Function

ERROR_HANDLER1:

MsgBox Err.Number & vbCrLf & "Error Description: " & Err.Description, _
    vbCritical, "Excel Workbook"

End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where are you setting dbsCurrent to 'Nothing'?
Is that in the part of the code that you did not 'strip out' along with the other objects that do not appear to be released at the end of the code?

Upvote 0
I am closing it afterwards but have omitted that part. Anyway Derek, I don't think this is causing the issue I have raised. As I said previously in 2007 the same code (dbsCurrent.Execute strSQL) does not open another read only version of the executing workbook but in 2013 it does. Closing that read only workbook is not the issue as it shouldn't be opening in the first place.

The issue is that automation through another workbook using 2013 is not producing the same result as running the code directly from the main executing workbook. Yet, automation through another workbook using 2007 does produce the same result as running the code directly from the main executing workbook. 2007 does not open a read only copy of the workbook when performing a DAO query on itself. Why is 2013 doing this when automation is used to execute code in a workbook that performs the dbsCurrent.Execute strSQL statement on itself.

Is this a 2013 bug and is it a known one or is this new expected behaviour in 2013?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So as not to confuse I should have stripped out the following lines from the code snippet above as well:

varEnableEventsState = Application.EnableEvents
varCalculationState = Application.Calculation
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I am going to have to 'pass' on this one.
There are too many unanswered questions in my mind because I am unable to see all the relevant code - and I don't do PMs so would be unable to obtain copies of the workbooks and database etc. If the data belongs to your employer, I would not want it anyway.
You have taken out code from that which you have given and that could have been relevant (the 3 lines in Post 9 make no difference whatsoever) so I would only be guessing what code is running.
I would also have to assume that you are running on two separate Windows PCs - one for 2007 and the other for 2013 - and I don't know what operating systems you are using.
Could it be the reference to Excel 12 (Excel 2007) in the SQL string that is not helping?
And did you change the 'References' to the later version?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back