Excel - Vlookup - multiple conditions - textual data

rosieribbons

Hi Everybody.

Was wondering if anyone knew how to do the following (apologies if my excel jargon is off, I'm not what you'd call a pro!)

OK so my situation is this. I'm working with a database that holds information on individuals backgrounds. At the moment I'm looking at education history. I have pulled off a list which details what the database currently says each individual has specified as their degree, but they are all worded slightly differently, and I need to introduce some consistency into the wording to allow us to search and sort the data better.
So I've got sheet1, which has a list of all the unique ways a degree is listed within the database, and an adjacent column which specifies what I want to change it to.
And in sheet2 I have a list of serial numbers for the individual records, and adjacent to that, a column detailing the unique degree listings.

So I need to find a way to tell excel "when you find X in column 2 of sheet 2, change it to Y from sheet 1 column 2, but if you don't find X don't do anything. And if you find Z in column 2 of sheet 2, change it to F from sheet 1 column 2, but if you don't find Z don't do anything".....

BUT I have about 2,500 different conditions that I need to apply at the same time.

Does that make sense? and can anyone suggest a way to achieve this? a friend suggested Vlookup but I can't seem to find any evidence that Vlookup can apply such a large volume of conditions simultaneously. Also all the data I'm working with is textual rather than numerical and I can't find much on how to make that work. I have 20,000 records to amend, I really don't want to do them one at a time!

thanks,

Rosie

thanks for your help! I'm gonna give it a whirl now...wish me luck!

Just to add that if you are working on excel version prior to 07 IFERROR will not work:
Used instead:
= IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(CurrentCourseNameColumn, YourLookupTableRange, 2, FALSE)), CurrentCourseNameColumn,VLOOKUP(CurrentCourseNameColumn, YourLookupTableRange, 2, FALSE))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Oh dear.... not working. Not even giving me any error messages. No dreaded #N/A. Nothing. Just a lonely old formula not doing anything.

:(

if anyone has any ideas.... this is what I've tried so far

= IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C, $F$4:$G$2391, 2, FALSE), C))
=VLOOKUP(C,$F$4:$G$2391,2,FALSE),C))

various other combinations with and without spaces, capitals, etc.

I'm using excel 2010

Upvote 0
You have to replace the "C" with reference to a cell like this
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,$F$4:$G$2391,2,FALSE),A2)

Upvote 0
You have to replace the "C" with reference to a cell like this
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,$F$4:$G$2391,2,FALSE),A2)

ahh ok,

so if I want to apply the formula to a whole column would I have to put something along the lines of C2:C20929 (or $c$2:$c$20929) or can it only be one cell at a time?

Upvote 0
thank you to everyone who posted in this thread - collectively you have saved me about three days monotonous data entry. It's working! :D

xxx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back