Find Missing Item between two lists

DougStroud

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have two groups of items which one is the master set and the second set is the subset. The subset group is missing one or more items from the master group. I need some help in writing a formula to identify the missing items.

Column A has all of the items in the list; (A, B, C, CR, CRN, P, etc...), Column M is the subset which tallies the values. I need to identify the missing item(s) in Column M.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
copy column A into a separate sheet, remove duplicate. Now do a vlookup on this to column M. Anything that returns as error is missing in column M. Does that help?

Upvote 0
Another way:

ABMN
1ABA
2BCCR
3CPCRN
4CRZZQ
5CRNCDEF
6P
7Q
8ZZ
9CDEF

<tbody>
</tbody>
Array Formulas
CellFormula
N1{=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$10,SMALL(IF(
$A$1:$A$10<>"",IF(ISERROR(MATCH($A$1:$A$10,$M$1:$M$10,0)),ROW($A$1:$A$10)-ROW($A$1)+1)),ROWS($N$1:$N1)
)
),""
)}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

I am a little lost. I needed to adjust the formula related to the actual columns. This is reflected below. However I am not getting an error when I CTRL/SHIFT/ENTER. Would you have a look and see if you can find it.

Upvote 0
Another way:

ABMN
1ABA
2BCCR
3CPCRN
4CRZZQ
5CRNCDEF
6P
7Q
8ZZ
9CDEF

<tbody>
</tbody>
Array Formulas
CellFormula
N1{=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$10,SMALL(IF(
$A$1:$A$10<>"",IF(ISERROR(MATCH($A$1:$A$10,$M$1:$M$10,0)),ROW($A$1:$A$10)-ROW($A$1)+1)),ROWS($N$1:$N1)
)
),""
)}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hi Eric,
I needed to adjust the formula to reflect the proper rows and cell ranges. The formula is returning an error- do you see where the error is? I did enter the formula with the Ctrl/Shift/Enter

=IFERROR(INDEX($b$2:$b$323,SMALL(IF($b$2:$b$323<>"",IF(ISERROR(MATCH($b$2:$b$323,$M$2:$M$38,0)),ROW$b$2:$b$323)-ROW($b$2)+1)),ROWS($m$2:$m38))),"")

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,
I needed to adjust the formula to reflect the proper rows and cell ranges. The formula is returning an error- do you see where the error is? I did enter the formula with the Ctrl/Shift/Enter

=IFERROR(INDEX($b$2:$b$323,SMALL(IF($b$2:$b$323<>"",IF(ISERROR(MATCH($b$2:$b$323,$M$2:$M$38,0)),ROW$b$2:$b$323)-ROW($b$2)+1)),ROWS($m$2:$m38))),"")

Assuming you're putting the formula in M2, then try this:

=IFERROR(INDEX($b$2:$b$323,SMALL(IF($b$2:$b$323<>"",IF(ISERROR(MATCH($b$2:$b$323,$M$2:$M$38,0)),ROW$b$2:$b$323)-ROW($b$2)+1)),ROWS($m$2:$m2))),"")

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Sorry, had to handle some things last night. Still not getting this to work. I am getting an error. Ctl+Shift+Enter does not add the curly braces around the formula. Enter gives me a small yellow box with a message, ( I would upload a screen shot, but I am not permitted to attach any files), "If(logical_test, [value_if_true], [value_if_false])" appears. I am quite certain this is not relevant b/c I am using "Enter" and not the Ctl+Shift+Enter key combo to activate the formula.

My values begin in B4. I have edited the formula to reflect this-
=IFERROR(INDEX($b$4:$b$323,SMALL(IF($b$4:$b$323<>"",IF(ISERROR(MATCH($b$4:$b$323,$M$2:$M$38,0)),ROW$b$4:$b$323)-ROW($b$4)+1)),ROWS($m$2:$m2))),"")

Thanks

Doug

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Somehow a parenthesis got lost:

=IFERROR(INDEX($b$4:$b$323,SMALL(IF($b$4:$b$323<>"",IF(ISERROR(MATCH($b$4:$b$323,$M$2:$M$38,0)),ROW($b$4:$b$323)-ROW($b$4)+1)),ROWS($m$2:$m2))),"")

with Control+Shift+Enter. Also make sure that the range in blue matches your subset range.

Upvote 0
I have two groups of items which one is the master set and the second set is the subset. The subset group is missing one or more items from the master group. I need some help in writing a formula to identify the missing items.

Column A has all of the items in the list; (A, B, C, CR, CRN, P, etc...), Column M is the subset which tallies the values. I need to identify the missing item(s) in Column M.

Hi!

Try the formula below too.

In C4 and copy down

=IFERROR(INDEX(B$4:B$323,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF(M$4:M$38,B$4:B$323)+COUNTIF(C$3:C3,B$4:B$323)+(B$4:B$323=""),),0)),"")

ABCDLMN
3List1Not in List2List2
4AAB
5BCRC
6CCRNP
7CRQZZ
8CRNCDEF
9P
10Q
11ZZ
12CDEF

<tbody>
</tbody>

Markmzz

Upvote 0
Hi!

Try the formula below too.

In C4 and copy down

=IFERROR(INDEX(B$4:B$323,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF(M$4:M$38,B$4:B$323)+COUNTIF(C$3:C3,B$4:B$323)+(B$4:B$323=""),),0)),"")

ABCDLMN
3List1Not in List2List2
4AAB
5BCRC
6CCRNP
7CRQZZ
8CRNCDEF
9P
10Q
11ZZ
12CDEF

<tbody>
</tbody>

Markmzz

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your effort here in finding a solution. The area has increased slightly. Column B contains the set which ranges from B4-B349 now. Column M contains the sub-set and ranges from M4-M40. I made the adjustments in your formula to what I think they should be and placed it in Column Q: beginning at Q4. I am getting "0" in Q4-Q40. B34 and B35 I know are missing "x" and "tl" from the subset. Here is the adjusted formula- =IFERROR(INDEX(B$4:B$349,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF(M$4:M$40,B$4:B$349)+COUNTIF(Q$4:Q5,B$4:B$349)+(B$4:B$349=""),),0)),""). But it is not revealing the omitted codes after running the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charlottedv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back