Finding tax percentage based on annual income & State

Aon

I need for the user to be able to input there annual salary, then select there state (from a pull down, that is generated from a list) I need a formula too take that information go through and find the persons state. Then basically scan through that individual states tax brackets & return the tax rate based on the income. I have played with this for a couple of days, I cannot figure out how to structure the formula. I’m assuming I need to use a combination of the “IF” function and the VLOOKUP.

Here are the facts:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Sheet 1<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
B6 - User inputs annual income.
F2 – User selects state from drop down.
G3 – Tax percentage is displayed. (Formula needs to go in this cell)
Sheet 2
I have all states and there corresponding Tax brackets listed in
Columns - A, B & C Rows – 1:202
I have a the states drop down being generated from a list named “states”
As you can see it is in column F1:F53. The reason I didn’t just use column “A” is because I couldn’t get the drop down to ignore the blank cells. If there is a different way to do this, I’m all ears.

lists_d43bd.jpg

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
You need to create and IF(AND()) Statement. Within the IF AND would need to be VLookups based on the annual income amount. The merging of cells in column A will probably be a problem though.

Just a note. I havent tried this but I am assuming it would work. Dont have time to actually write the statement but I figured I would point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Aon

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Firstly, a hint about getting help in this forum: You will get more help here if you can post sample data that people can copy directly from the board to their test sheets, rather than having to type it all manually. You can do that with Excel jeanie - see my screen shots below.

Given your layout, I would attack this by using a helper column in Sheet2 as shown below. I have used column D but you could use any column and, if you want, it could be hidden once the formulas are entered.

Formula in D1 copied down to the end of the data.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1Alabama02.00%FALSE
25004.00%FALSE
33,0005.00%FALSE
4Alaska00.00%FALSE
5Arizona02.59%FALSE
610,0002.88%FALSE
725,0003.36%TRUE
850,0004.24%FALSE
9150,0004.54%FALSE
10Arkansas01.00%FALSE
113,7002.50%FALSE
127,4003.50%FALSE
1311,1004.50%FALSE
1418,6006.00%FALSE
1531,0007.00%FALSE
Sheet2

Excel Workbook
BCDEFG
1State
2ArizonaPercentage
33.36%
5Income
Sheet1
#VALUE!

Upvote 0
Here's another way...

Helper Cells:

Code:
G3:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet2!C1:C15)

Code:
H3:

=MATCH(F3,Sheet2!A1:A15,0)

Code:
I3, confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER:

=MIN(IF(ROW(Sheet2!A1:A15)-ROW(Sheet2!A1)+1>MATCH(F3,Sheet2!A1:A15,0),IF(Sheet2!A1:A15<>"",ROW(Sheet2!A1:A15)-ROW(Sheet2!A1)+1)))

Result Cell:

Code:
J3:

=VLOOKUP(F1,INDEX(Sheet2!$B$1:$B$15,H1):INDEX(Sheet2!$C$1:$C$15,IF(N(I1),I1-1,G1)),2,1)

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Aon

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Firstly, a hint about getting help in this forum: You will get more help here if you can post sample data that people can copy directly from the board to their test sheets, rather than having to type it all manually. You can do that with Excel jeanie - see my screen shots below.

Given your layout, I would attack this by using a helper column in Sheet2 as shown below. I have used column D but you could use any column and, if you want, it could be hidden once the formulas are entered.

Formula in D1 copied down to the end of the data.

Thank you so much, this worked perfectly. Thank you for everyone's help, I never would of figured that out on my own. I also took your advice and downloaded "Excel Jeanie"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back